cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
charlesgordon
Level II

Sample sizing for future tolerance intervals

Is there a way to determine the appropriate sample size for a future tolerance interval, given some historical data?

In essence, I will gather data and construct a tolerance interval (one- or two-sided) from this new data and compare the tolerance bound(s) to a specification limit.  I need the tolerance bounds to be within the spec limit.  I would like to be able to use the information from a prior sample to inform the minimum sample size.

I've written a simulation that I believe gives me the appropriate power that a given sample size will have a tolerance interval within my limits, but is there a formal way to approach this problem?  Is there a formula somewhere that uses prior estimates/errors of the mean and standard deviation to inform a future tolerance interval sample size?  Equivalently, are there formulas for power sample size calculations for percentiles?

Thanks!

Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
charlesgordon
Level II

Re: Sample sizing for future tolerance intervals

I recently co-authored a paper in Quality Engineering titled "Sample size determination strategies for normal tolerance intervals using historical data" that provides a solution to this problem by calculating values to be used in the Faulkenberry-Weeks approach.  It does not guarantee certain coverage levels but it did perform very well in numerical studies.  The norm.ss formula is available in the R package 'tolerance'.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08982112.2015.1124279

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

7.2.6.4. Tolerance intervals based on the largest and smallest observations

The NIST/SEMATECH e-Handbook of stats methods is a great (free) on-line resource for starting to answer such questions (NIST/SEMATECH e-Handbook of Statistical Methods).  I have provided the link the to one of the sections on tolerance intervals.  On that page is a link to the Hahn and Meeker book on statistical intervals in which you will find details on many types of statistical intervals, parametric and non-parametric solutions, including sample size calculations.

charlesgordon
Level II

Thank you, Karen.  The links are very helpful and certainly relevant.  I do not believe, however, that they specifically inform the sample size of a future tolerance interval based on historical data for a power calculation.  Maybe my problem is unique.

charlesgordon
Level II

I recently co-authored a paper in Quality Engineering titled "Sample size determination strategies for normal tolerance intervals using historical data" that provides a solution to this problem by calculating values to be used in the Faulkenberry-Weeks approach.  It does not guarantee certain coverage levels but it did perform very well in numerical studies.  The norm.ss formula is available in the R package 'tolerance'.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08982112.2015.1124279