cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Simone1
Level IV

Sample Size for DOE

Hello,

I write you to have some suggestion regarding on topic linked to the DOE.

I have a industrial process. The outout (response) of the process is the percentage of scrap.

The average of this scrap is around 1.5%.

I want to create a DOE to identify main factors, interactions, model,...

My question is: how I can determine the number of the replicates for each corner (for a specific power) to be sure to have correct statisical results (if in one trial I will obtain "0% of scrap" it is real output change or only a case)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Simone

11 REPLIES 11
statman
Super User

Re: Sample Size for DOE

My suggestion is to be more creative in developing an appropriate response variable (and use multiple responses).  If color is the issue, there are multiple ways to measure this:

• ∆L: the difference in lightness/darkness
  • ∆A: the difference in red/green values
  • ∆B: the difference in yellow/blue values
  • ∆C: the difference in chromaticity
  • ∆E: the spectral “distance” between the two colors
  • ∆H: the difference in hues

If human perception is of interest, then an ordinal scale might be very useful.  I have attached a paper I wrote to provide guidance on using such a scale.  Binary responses are not very descriptive, require larger sample sizes and lack discrimination.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
Simone1
Level IV

Re: Sample Size for DOE

I understand your suggestion regarding the usage of some "∆" and tranform "OK/KO" in some data measurable.

Not easy... but not impossible.

Thanks also for the paper.

Have you a good day.

Best Regards,

Simone