cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jthi
Super User

Running JMP16 runs JMP16 Pro (and vice-versa on other laptop)

I'm facing a situation where I have both JMP16 and JMP16 Pro installed on my laptop and when I try to run JMP16 it will open JMP16 Pro. On other laptop the situation is other way around, when I try to run JMP16 Pro it will run JMP16 (worse situation). Windows 10 is being run on both laptops.

It seems like they are using different JMP Preferences as I have disabled Tip of the Day on JMP16 Pro but when JMP Pro opens JMP16 it will also show Tip of the day. I will also contact JMP Support about this but does JMP Community have any ideas?

Edit:

Just noticed that I might have JMP16.1 installed and JMP16.2 Pro installed and when I run JMP16.1 it will open JMP16.1 Pro so I'm getting elevated access due to some license file issues? And with the other laptop I'm loosing my access for Pro for some reason.

-Jarmo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Running JMP16 runs JMP16 Pro (and vice-versa on other laptop)

I got fairly good instructions from JMP support on what to check (I had solved the issue before these): getting the Install Checker from Help / About JMP and checking PER File Locations. My "normal" JMP is also looking for license from JMPPRO folder (no idea why and doesn't really matter to my anymore as I can change it to other location):

jthi_0-1658917142095.png

I have "fixed" my issue by adding licence file location to my normal JMP's preference file's File Location Settings(Licence File Path("")))

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jthi
Super User

Ok, the issue seems to be related to preferences (at least partially) and possibly preference file (JMP.PFS). I have no idea when which file is used and what gets overwritten, but I can force License File Path which seems to work at least on the laptop which launches JMP Pro when I try to run non-pro version.

Edit:

My guess is that if one version of JMP is using "non-default" Licence File Path it will override the other versions default setting. So if you change this setting in either of version, you have to change it in both IF you want to have access to both versions of JMP.

-Jarmo
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I assume you are on Windows.

How are you launching JMP? Double-clicking on .exe icon? Command line? Other?

-Jeff
jthi
Super User

@txnelson I understand that shouldn't really be need to have both installed, but still from time to time, I it makes things easier (mostly because I'm developing for different users at the same time who have different JMP versions). I think I could write an add-in, which could take care of the changes and would also check which JMP version is currently enabled and which will be on next startup.

@Jeff_Perkinson I have tried launching it through shortcut and .exe.

-Jarmo
txnelson
Super User

There shouldn't be a reason to have both JMP 16 and JMPPro 16 installed separately on one computer.  When you want to run only JMP, you can use the following and your JMPPro features will be disabled.

Names default to here(1);
preferences(disableJMPPro(1));
Jim

I recommend contacting JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com) and they can help you sort this out.  It may be an installation issue but it also could just be a license file issue.

jthi
Super User

I got fairly good instructions from JMP support on what to check (I had solved the issue before these): getting the Install Checker from Help / About JMP and checking PER File Locations. My "normal" JMP is also looking for license from JMPPRO folder (no idea why and doesn't really matter to my anymore as I can change it to other location):

jthi_0-1658917142095.png

I have "fixed" my issue by adding licence file location to my normal JMP's preference file's File Location Settings(Licence File Path("")))

-Jarmo

I have several versions of JMP installed on my Mac and my Windows computers for testing. The last install determines the default version that will open if I open a JMP file in my experience. I could be mistaken, but I have never observed an exception to this rule. You can select File > Preferences > Windows Specific and click Reset Associations at the bottom of the window with the version of JMP you want to open by defauilt. I can investigate the action for Mac if necessary.