cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
shampton82
Level VII

Return a selected column name from graph builder

Is there a way to return the selected column from the column list in graph builder when you run a script?  For example, if I were to have selected age in the column list:

shampton82_0-1604163474156.png

and then run a script, would I be able to get the age column name and use it?  The reason I ask is that I have "shortcut" scripts that help with data clean up.  I often see issue in graph builder and then run a script that asks me to select the column I want to modify, however this is actually redundant as I had already selected the column in graph builder.  So if I could have the script grab the name of the selected column in the graph builder column list I could avoid some extra input boxes and clicks.

Thanks for any ideas!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Return a selected column name from graph builder

This JSL will return the value selected in a Graph Builder dialog box

variable = Current Report()[listboxbox( 1 )] << get selected;
Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

This JSL will return the value selected in a Graph Builder dialog box

variable = Current Report()[listboxbox( 1 )] << get selected;
Jim
shampton82
Level VII

Perfect!  Thanks so much for a quick reply.

Have a good day!

shampton82
Level VII

Playing around with this, I am now wondering is there something similar for the column switcher box?

txnelson
Super User

1. The same JSL will work if a Column Switcher is invoked.  It will return the selection from the Column Switcher.
  2. Do you understand what the line of JSL is doing?  
  3. I suggest that you read the documentation in the Scripting Guide, on Display Trees.
Jim
shampton82
Level VII

Thanks for the additional info and no I don’t understand it yet but plan on getting there. I’ll review the info you suggested. Thanks again.

Steve

To @txnelson's point, the documentation and the Scripting Index will inform you that the Column Switcher is an object with its own protocol, including the message << Get Current specifically for your need.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 4.59.21 AM.png