cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Danijel_V
Level III

Response surface mesh and 3D contour plot

Hello,

does anybody know, if it is possible to create a Response surface mesh and 3D contoour plot in JMP. If it is, how can I do that? I added two pictures, to better ilustrate what I have in mind. 

Response surface mesh

Rezultat iskanja slik za response surface mesh plot jmp

3D contour plot

Rezultat iskanja slik za response surface mesh plot jmp

Is there any better way to present a response which is dependent on three factors in one plot? I first presented the relation with 9 surface plots (3 for every combination of 2 factors, the third factor has always a different value (-1,0,1)), which is a very clear presentation in my opinion but it takes a lot of space and can hide the general picture because it is too segmented. I was also thinking about cube plot, but it hides a lot of information, especially, because I have one quadratic effect...

Thank you in advance, 

Danijel

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Response surface mesh and 3D contour plot

You will find a lot of information about the JMP versions by selecting Help > Books > Profilers.

I should add that these profilers are available in most fitting platforms and separately as their own stand alone platform. In the latter case, they use a column formula. You can save fitted models as a column formula.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Oh, when I have a function that has many factors, I like parallel plots. Some say it is an "acquired taste."  For your example, I think the multi-view (as I explained above) would be more informative for most.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

I have attached an example script of the JMP 3D profiler with Mesh.

JMP has a 3D scatterplot and a Surface Profiler. 

It is not too difficult with a little scripting to create a 9 plot view, or use Graph Builder: use 2 factors one for X and one for Y, making sure the one with the quadratic effect is included, then create if the other 2 factors can have discrete values like -1, 0 and 1, use one factor for X grouping and another for Y grouping then color by the modeled strength. Then instead of points use a contour.

Another possibility is to create "pictures" of the 3D plots the multiple levels of the remaining factors. and store then in a table. JMP 14 allows pictures to be used as the graphic icons, so you could create a grid of 3D views.   

If your model has a secondary relationship, where the model can be reparameterized (for example maybe a combination of sealing and cooling temperature), you might be able to use it to reduce the dimensionality. However, from my experience, these are more difficult to visualize. 

Danijel_V
Level III

Thank you for elaborate answer. I think I will stay with 9 response surface graphs. 

I still didn't get the answer for my first question though. I already know the 3D profiler, but I actualy want to make it 4D. I want that values of factors to determine the location of points (like 3D coordinates) and that I then colour the points, where the colour of the points represents the response (for example red for high values, blue for low). Than I would do a contour instead of points. Is there any way to colout the points in the way I described?

Hi, 

Did you end up getting an answer for this? I'm in the same boat trying to make the graphic 4D to represent a color contour. 

M. Dereviankin
Danijel_V
Level III

Hi,

unfortunately no, however, when you think about it there is a reason that JMP or other statistical softwares doesn't offer possibility to create 4D plot, since it is a very unclear presentation. My advice would be to stick to 2D charts when possible, since we are ussually presenting charts on 2D surface, when neccessary use 3D.