cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ronaldo
Level II

Requesting advice for predicting a very simple DATETIME.

I want to predict the time corresponding to a specific value.

I plan to travel a total distance of about 100 km. The first 6 hours will be on foot, and the rest by car.

Assuming the car’s speed is fairly consistent, I want to create a simple model to predict the date and time (yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss) when I will reach the 88 km mark.

Fortunately, I can obtain distance data every second. I think I can create a linear regression curve by using `DATETIME` on the Y-axis and distance on the X-axis.

However, I can't seem to use `DATETIME` on the Y-axis. What should I do?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Requesting advice for predicting a very simple DATETIME.

It appears that your DATETIME column has been input as a character column.  It needs to be a numeric JMP Date Time column.

Go to the Help pull down menu and go to JMP Online Help.  Then lookup JMP Date and Time values.  

Once your column is numeric, you will be able to use it as the Y column.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

It appears that your DATETIME column has been input as a character column.  It needs to be a numeric JMP Date Time column.

Go to the Help pull down menu and go to JMP Online Help.  Then lookup JMP Date and Time values.  

Once your column is numeric, you will be able to use it as the Y column.

Jim
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager