cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Tzu-Chun
Level III

Repel overlapping text labels

Sometimes, we have a gernal 2D plot with several overalpping labels as an example below:

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
dt:Age << Label( 1 );
For Each Row( Row State()=Labeled State(1) );
Graph Builder(
    Size( 528, 454 ),
    Show Control Panel( 0 ),
    Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ) ),
    Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 18 ) ) )
);

image.png

If we want to keep all the labels in the plot, one possible way is drag the labels to the right place. However, it become more difficalt when the data points are large. is there any possible way we can do as the same in R to repel overlapping text labels using JSL instead of drag the label one by one?

Before                                                                              After

image.pngimage.png

Reference: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ggrepel/vignettes/ggrepel.html

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Repel overlapping text labels

I support your request and I have heard the request before.  I am not aware of any way to do this currently in Graph Builder.

You should submit this enhancement request directly to 

support@jmp.com

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

I support your request and I have heard the request before.  I am not aware of any way to do this currently in Graph Builder.

You should submit this enhancement request directly to 

support@jmp.com

Jim
XanGregg
Staff

There is a graph preference called Hide Overlapping Labels, which will try to move labels so they don't overlap, and will hide any that still do overlap. It doesn't move them far enough to need a tagline though.

Tzu-Chun
Level III

Hi Xan,

Thanks for the great idea on this discussion, but we might lost a lot of labels when the data set goes large or distributed as different clusters. Hope JMP will consider this issue to be on the list.
Tzu-Chun
Level III

Thanks Jim, I'll try to report to JMP support team to see if we can get this good feature in the future.