cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Piet_Hoogkamer
Level III

Repeat legend with every page

When a graph is created (in Graph Builder) with multiple pages, using one of the variables as a page parameter, the legend is only shown for the first page.

How to repeat the legend for all pages?

Any suggestion much appreciated!

Piet
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Repeat legend with every page

Hi @Piet_Hoogkamer,

The trick here is to use the Dialog option in Graph Builder, then use the By role for your Label column, rather than Page. Graph Builder will then repeat the legend for each graph. 

GB-dialog.gif

I hope this helps!

@julian

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
txnelson
Super User

I am not aware of how to do that in Graph Builder.  What type of graph are you building?  If it is a scatter plot, you could use 

Graph==>Overlay Plot

Specify your X and Y variables, and then the Page variable, put in the By selection box.

Once it is run, you can hold down the CNTL key and right mouse click, and select Row Legend.  The select your color variable, and the legend will be shown for each graph.

legend.GIF

Jim
Piet_Hoogkamer
Level III

Thanks Jim, this is helpful!

Being addicted to the graph builder, I rarely look at the other options, so lesson learned (at least for the scatter plot).

However, I still would like to see the same for the graph builder, as there are clearly differences in options.

Using 'Overlay plot' and 'Graph Builder', with my data looks as below.

The graph builder plots are for me much nicer, with a more clear relation of the points to the sample class (with some optional jitter).

Best, Piet.

Overlay PlotOverlay PlotGraph Builder PlotGraph Builder Plot

Piet
txnelson
Super User

I agree with your statement, and I suggest that you send an enhancement request to

support@jmp.com

Jim
julian

Hi @Piet_Hoogkamer,

The trick here is to use the Dialog option in Graph Builder, then use the By role for your Label column, rather than Page. Graph Builder will then repeat the legend for each graph. 

GB-dialog.gif

I hope this helps!

@julian

Piet_Hoogkamer
Level III

Hi Julian,

Many thanks!

This indeed solves this problem (and open a door to new options!).

Best regards,

Piet

Piet
lena
Level I

Hi Julian,

Three years later, we have JMP 15 and this solution doesnt work. It creates for ech "by" category an extra page.  Do you know, how it works with JMP 15.

julian

Hi @lena

Can you explain in more detail what functionality you are missing in JMP 15 that you had before? I tried this on my side and I can produce the same separate graphs with separate legends. There is the "Page" role that you won't want to use, but as far as I can tell, "By" works as it did before. I'm sure I'm missing something, so let me know what it is and we can figure out how to do it in JMP 15!

@julian 

lena
Level I

Hi Julian

i used the dialog builder wrong. thats why it didnt work with the labels. Now it works. Thanks for fast reply. 

julian

I'm so glad to hear things are working now, @lena!

Julian