cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
RuthV
Level I

Removing category labels from a canonical plot

Is there any way to remove the labels of the categories in a canonical plot? I am able to remove and change the Biplot Rays but can not find a method to remove the category labels. The plot is rather busy, making the labels unreadable so I would rather work with a color coded legend. 

3 REPLIES 3
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Removing category labels from a canonical plot

I ran into this very issue the other day - I think the labels are "attached" to the biplot rays. So if you remove the rays you get rid of the mess but you lose the rays. You could change the transparency of the rays to lessen the "mess" a bit (in customize graph) but that doesn't solve your issue.  You can move the rays...Canonical Options>Biplot Ray Position.  Then for the x select a value off to the right of you data (adjust the x-axis to be wider) and then increase the radius scaling to spread out the rays so you can read the lables (maybe).

You could add a request to the wish list to replace column labels with colors and a legend.  Although with colors and a large number of columns you would have the same issue with interpretability of the plot. Try the moving of the rays...

RuthV
Level I

Thank you for your response. However, it is not the labels attached to the biplot rays that are my issue. The problem is the labels at the multivariate mean. In the below example from the JMP website it is the vertical labels for 'setosa', 'versicolor', 'virginica' that I want to remove? 

As is also the case in this example, they are nearly unreadable. 

KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Agreed that he lables clutter the plot.  In the customize menu the lables appear to be "locked" so I don't see how to remove them. An option would be to save the canonical scores and then re-create the plot in graph builder (more work and you lose the biplot rays).

Karen