cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Knut
Level III

Remove shading of Graph Builder titles

The patent office requires drawings in plain black and white. How can one remove the shading of the titles used in Graph Builder (see Sex and Vehicle below)? The light background shading is easy to remove, but increasing the contrast in Powerpoint to remove the dark shading of the "Sex =" doesn't work well.

Also is there an option tol increase all font sizes by a factor to fulfil the requirement that all characters be .125 in high?

image.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Remove shading of Graph Builder titles

Regarding Font Size, see this  link. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/uxguide/vis-fonts Roughly, a point is 1/72 of an inch. So 9 pt would be 1/72*9 = 1/8.  That is how I select fontsize. Note in your graphic, you do not have the same line spacing. Well, you can read the link and decide.

I looked and found no method to change the shaded color of Outline boxes. However, you might want to look at this web site

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patents/comments/7u3fqx/grayscale_drawings/

Grayscale screenshots of UI interfaces seem to be relatively okay. I've also played around with contrast/brightness in order to remove gradients in images (e.g. making sure that anything close to white ends up as white and anything close to black ends up black) and while they aren't the prettiest drawings, they're usually acceptable.

From the link above, it seems drawings in black and white is important or you can pay more for color. ??

Also, I have pasted a picture into Powerpoint. The using Picture Tools, select Color, and towards the bottom, select Set Transparent Color.  Also as stated if you paste into Word the outline boxes are just text boxes, no color.

Good Luck.  

View solution in original post

Knut
Level III

Re Shading, thanks for confirming that there is no option to change the shading of titles. I have used the workaround of increasing brightness and contrast, which works for the lighter of the title shadings (and replaced the main title with text, such as "Sex = Female"). Thanks for pointing to the option of changing the darker shading by setting it to Transparent Color. I understand that one could get away with shades (in the US, but potentially not with the more "picky" PCT), but I don't like taking chances with trying to "slip under the radar".

Capture.JPG

One more question: I was able to darken the color of the vertical line separating two sub-plots, but couldn't find a way to put a horizontal line on top. Is there an option for that somewhere?

Re font sizes: Note that the USPTO dows not use the word "font size", in its Guide for Preparation of Patent Drawings, 37 CFR 1.4(n), but requires that [all] "Numbers" must measure at least .32 cm (1/8 inch) in height. In terms of font measurement units, the requirement refers to (at least) cap height, not to font size:

Capture.JPG

(see http://www.thomasphinney.com/2011/03/point-size/ for a discussion).

Of course did I not have the same spacing in my graphic, because I wanted to demonstrate which font has the required cap height of 1/8 in - it is the 12 pt (font size) font. Hence, if one doesnt want to take chances with the PCT, one has to use a font with a cap height of 1/8 in, which is font size 12.To avoid the legal challenges mentioned in the above law suit (rather than the required point size, your point size was only 10.98 pt), 12.5 would probably be a better choice.

I found a workaround by scaling up the graph created by JMP by 40% for patent drawings. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Arial and Time New Roman 9 point is .125 in in size.  If you go to Preferences > Font and change all sizes to 9 point. Later you can reset the defaults.   This was answered before: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Graph-builder-titles-font-size/m-p/10645#M10300.

Note, however, when you copy/paste your plot or save to PDF, if any scaling takes place, then the sizes might not be accurate

When you save to work the Outline Boxes are simple text. So ensuring the text size is easy. But now layout and scaling the pictures take more effort.  Maybe JMP developers have a suggestion.

Knut
Level III

1) I placed text with SEGOE UI characters of various size into a 1 inch tall box:

Capture.JPG

As you can see, only the 12 pt font fulfils the legal requirement that the characters (especially digits, because the requirements apply to fields displaying numbers, too) have a heigth of 1/8 in. Where you referring to a different Font?

Not everything, of course should be the same height, so if you were to change manually, Title fonts, for instance should be larger than 12 pt. Then, resetting the fonts to the size that suits other purposes better would be a mess, unless there were an option to have different font size settings saved under different names. is there?.

2) Where is the shading of the titles defined, so that you can remove it for the purpose of patent drawings?

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Regarding Font Size, see this  link. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/uxguide/vis-fonts Roughly, a point is 1/72 of an inch. So 9 pt would be 1/72*9 = 1/8.  That is how I select fontsize. Note in your graphic, you do not have the same line spacing. Well, you can read the link and decide.

I looked and found no method to change the shaded color of Outline boxes. However, you might want to look at this web site

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patents/comments/7u3fqx/grayscale_drawings/

Grayscale screenshots of UI interfaces seem to be relatively okay. I've also played around with contrast/brightness in order to remove gradients in images (e.g. making sure that anything close to white ends up as white and anything close to black ends up black) and while they aren't the prettiest drawings, they're usually acceptable.

From the link above, it seems drawings in black and white is important or you can pay more for color. ??

Also, I have pasted a picture into Powerpoint. The using Picture Tools, select Color, and towards the bottom, select Set Transparent Color.  Also as stated if you paste into Word the outline boxes are just text boxes, no color.

Good Luck.  

Knut
Level III

Re Shading, thanks for confirming that there is no option to change the shading of titles. I have used the workaround of increasing brightness and contrast, which works for the lighter of the title shadings (and replaced the main title with text, such as "Sex = Female"). Thanks for pointing to the option of changing the darker shading by setting it to Transparent Color. I understand that one could get away with shades (in the US, but potentially not with the more "picky" PCT), but I don't like taking chances with trying to "slip under the radar".

Capture.JPG

One more question: I was able to darken the color of the vertical line separating two sub-plots, but couldn't find a way to put a horizontal line on top. Is there an option for that somewhere?

Re font sizes: Note that the USPTO dows not use the word "font size", in its Guide for Preparation of Patent Drawings, 37 CFR 1.4(n), but requires that [all] "Numbers" must measure at least .32 cm (1/8 inch) in height. In terms of font measurement units, the requirement refers to (at least) cap height, not to font size:

Capture.JPG

(see http://www.thomasphinney.com/2011/03/point-size/ for a discussion).

Of course did I not have the same spacing in my graphic, because I wanted to demonstrate which font has the required cap height of 1/8 in - it is the 12 pt (font size) font. Hence, if one doesnt want to take chances with the PCT, one has to use a font with a cap height of 1/8 in, which is font size 12.To avoid the legal challenges mentioned in the above law suit (rather than the required point size, your point size was only 10.98 pt), 12.5 would probably be a better choice.

I found a workaround by scaling up the graph created by JMP by 40% for patent drawings. 

Knut
Level III

Re the last question, right-clicking on some invisible area of the graph opens a menu with the toggle option "Graph Borders".
Knut
Level III

It's the same with Arial:

Capture.JPG