cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Remove non labels from hovering information

Hi All,

I was wondering if the is a way to define that coordinates will not be shown when hovering the cursor over points?

By default, when hovering the cursor over a point in any graph, the label is given together with the coordinates.  I would like only the labels to be shown. In the example picture, I would like not to see the height and weight but just the name.

2222.png

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Remove non labels from hovering information

Hi @ron_horne

As far as I know, there is not an out-of-the-box method for suppressing the default hover label data, even with the Hover Label Editor options now available in JMP 15. The Hover Label Editor will let you add additional information (and graphics!) to the hover, but any variable used in a data graphing or decoration role (i.e., X , Y, Overlay, Color, and Size) will always be included in the hover. 

EDIT:

After some prompting by @Mark_Bailey who was sure he saw a way to do this, I investigated further and there is indeed a way to do what you need. You'll use the "Gridlet" option in the hover label editor, where you have the option to modify existing labels by name. Here's how you would do it for your example using Big Class:

1.  Enter the Hover Label editor by right-clicking the graph > Hover Label > Hover Label Editor
  2. Select the Gridlet section on the left
  3. In the "Delete" tab (the first tab at the top) we may enter the name of the variables we would like to remove from the Hover Label. I'll enter "height" and click Add, and then "weight" and click Add. Do not quote these entries when entering them (even though they will appear quoted once added).Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.07.39 PM.png

Your hover label will now show only the labeled column of Name:

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.09.28 PM.png

I hope this helps, and thanks @Mark_Bailey for the correction!

@julian 

View solution in original post

hogi
Level XI

I found a quite convenient way: Instead of opening the Hover Label Editor, 
place the mouse over a data point to open a Hover Label - then right-click on the hover label and click on edit

In the menu, there is a preview Hover Label visible on the left where you can click on entries and remove them:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Wish-List/To-modify-hover-label-editor-so-it-is-more-user-friendly/... 

(also explained in Jmp Documentation Library/Using Jmp/Jmp Reports)

2023-04-05_16-47-29.gif

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@ron_horne,

The only method I know of would require a custom display: 

• Turn off the report preference of  Hover Help.
  • Encapsulate graph with a  MouseBox container that tracks and whose function displays the row label.

It will be interesting is there is a method to do this. If not, this would make a good wishlist item: add a Graph Preference toggle option to show point "values"  (similalry for point "labels"?) .

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thanks @gzmorgan0  for the tip.

digging a bit further i found this hover label editor. but there is no reference to it anywhere. Perhaps it is hiding somewhere in this feature.

111.png

stan_koprowski

Hi @ron_horne 

Link to information regarding editing hover labels and customization. 

You will find options for textlets, graphlets, and gridlets. 

cheers,

Stan

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thank you @stan_koprowski ,

this is a step in the right direction.

julian

Hi @ron_horne

As far as I know, there is not an out-of-the-box method for suppressing the default hover label data, even with the Hover Label Editor options now available in JMP 15. The Hover Label Editor will let you add additional information (and graphics!) to the hover, but any variable used in a data graphing or decoration role (i.e., X , Y, Overlay, Color, and Size) will always be included in the hover. 

EDIT:

After some prompting by @Mark_Bailey who was sure he saw a way to do this, I investigated further and there is indeed a way to do what you need. You'll use the "Gridlet" option in the hover label editor, where you have the option to modify existing labels by name. Here's how you would do it for your example using Big Class:

1.  Enter the Hover Label editor by right-clicking the graph > Hover Label > Hover Label Editor
  2. Select the Gridlet section on the left
  3. In the "Delete" tab (the first tab at the top) we may enter the name of the variables we would like to remove from the Hover Label. I'll enter "height" and click Add, and then "weight" and click Add. Do not quote these entries when entering them (even though they will appear quoted once added).Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.07.39 PM.png

Your hover label will now show only the labeled column of Name:

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 12.09.28 PM.png

I hope this helps, and thanks @Mark_Bailey for the correction!

@julian 

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Thank you @julian 

For me this would be quite useful in case of dots on a map. Most times i need other information than the coordinates.

julian

Hey @ron_horne,
Please see my updated reply above -- there is indeed a way to do this.
@julian
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Diabolical!

nascif_jmp
Level VI

Thanks @julian and @Mark_Bailey for the correct solution.

@ron_horne:You could make your hoverlabel customization more dynamic by taking advantage of the different types of Matching Criteria supported by the Gridlet operators. Let's say you are still experimenting with your graph, and assigning different variables to the X and Y roles. You could refer to the entries you want to remove by Index (one of the options under the Matching Criteria dropbox) and add delete operators for 2 or 3 entries after the first one, which contains the label you want to see.

You can even delete all entries and then use the Append operator to add any content you want - even the values for columns that don't have the Label flag set.