cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
VCO
VCO
Level III

Refresh a JMP data table that had been previously populated with data imported from a .csv file

Hello JMP community,

I need some help with refreshing of a JMP data table that was previously populated using the File -> Open -> Text File import option, in this case a .csv file.

The first time, the data got imported with no issues, I then added a couple of column formulas at the end and done some graphs using the Graph Builder, which I saved the script to the data table and the file as normal.

The following day, as I know the .csv file got populated with more data, I went back to the JMP data table and re-ran the 'source' script to update it. It turns out that it creates a new JMP data table, with the newest data, but the original column formulas and scripts for the graphs are not available anymore?

I tried the MFI method too, even though it's just importing the same file every time, but I get the same result.

Is there a way to simply refresh the original data table, and keep everything else as it was, like we can do via the database query script 'Update from Database' ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Vasco

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Refresh a JMP data table that had been previously populated with data imported from a .csv file

Hi, see if this works for you: allow JMP to build the new table, but then copy its contents into the original table.

Cheers,

Brady

Names Default To Here(1);

dta = datatable("a");					//the original table with all of the goodies

//get the new table by whatever means
dtb = datatable("b");			 		//the update table

dta << add rows(nrow(dtb) - nrow(dta));
dta[0,0] = dtb[0,0];

close(dtb, nosave);

VCO
VCO
Level III

Re: Refresh a JMP data table that had been previously populated with data imported from a .csv file

Hi Brady,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the late feedback.

I ended up finding that using the 'JMP Query Builder' under the menu 'Tables' does the job. It also has the additional benefit of using a similar UI as the 'Database Query Builder', which is also handy.

Thanks,

Vasco