Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
StarfruitBob
Level VI

Reference lines vanish when using column switcher or local data filter

Hello,

I'm manually assigning reference lines in visualizations by double clicking on an axis and assigning a value and label and adding them to visualizations.  When I use the local data filter or column switcher feature (only similar data is being switched) the reference lines vanish, even if I return to the original variable shown on the visualization when I first assigned the reference lines or reset the local data filter to it's original state, they're gone.  Interestingly, when I look through the auto-generated script, the code for these reference lines is present.

I need any reference lines I assign in visualizations to stay displayed when using the local data filter and the column switcher. Any ideas?

Learning every day!
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Reference lines vanish when using column switcher or local data filter

Hi @StarfruitBob - can you share the version of JMP and platforms that you are using?

Retaining reference lines can be more challenging with Column Switcher, because the script usually identifies the axis by the column name, but that should not be a problem for the Data Filter, and as you indicated the script still shows the reference lines.

If you double-click on the axis after the reference lines disappear, are they still shown in the axis dialog?  If so, you might want to right-click in the graph frame > Customize to check the ordering of the frame contents.  The ordering should also be retained as part of the script, but if it is not then the data elements may be drawing over the reference lines:

danschikore_0-1656617207021.png

StarfruitBob
Level VI

After switching a column with the column switcher, I did as you asked and found that, indeed, the reference lines were gone from the dialog box.  The graph frame > Customize items were in the same positions, with nothing changed.

Most of the time the local data filter doesn't make the reference lines vanish, but I've had instances, when I was presenting, of course, where they would vanish.  I'm finding this particular part of the issue hit-and-miss and more difficult to diagnose.

Learning every day!
StarfruitBob
Level VI

Interesting.  I'm now watching the auto-generated code more and I was mistaken on a part of what I said earlier.

While it's mostly true after using the local data filters that the references lines stay in the script, this is not the case for the column switcher.  The reference line code is not present after using this feature.

Learning every day!