cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Project new data to an existing PCA map?

I am wondering whether it is possible to project new data to an existing PCA map. Per my limited knowledge with PCA map generation I do not think it is the case. But want to check with JMP community on this.

The context is that we generated a map using objective data on 20 products with 30 variables. Let's say after an year we want to project  data from 3 new products with same 30 variables to the existing PCA map. Is it posisble with PCA approach? Are there any other solutions to achieve this ?

Thanks in adavance for any thoughts and suggetsions.     

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Project new data to an existing PCA map?

Click the red triangle next to Principal Components and select Save Columns > Save Principal Components. It saves the formula that multiplies the data column by the eigenvectors to obtain the score. It works with new observations.

Thanks for the reply.  So, by doing this does it alter the position of original products and varibales ?  or just projects new products into the space?

The formulas will project the original data to the same place. The formulas will also project the new data.

Try it.