Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Lu
Lu
Level IV

Profiler importance Ranking

When running the XGBoost model the fit deatils of the model generate a feature importance ranking table. When running the profiler and subsequently the importance ranking gives another ranking of the predictor variables. Can somebody explain this different ranking of the features in the same ML model?

Which ranking do I have to choose in case I want to perform a feature selection, the model ranking or the profiler ranking?

Regards,

Lu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Profiler importance Ranking

XGBoost and the Prediction Profiler use completely different metrics for variable importance. The XGBoost add-in produces an index called Gain that is based on the splitting behavior of the underlying boosted trees. The Prediction Profiler uses resampling to produce an index of response variability against predictor variability. The two different rankings will not necessarily be the same.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

When you say, "running the profiler and subsequently the importance ranking gives another ranking of the predictor variables," are you referring to using one of the Prediction Profiler commands shown here:

importance.PNG

Lu
Lu
Level IV

Yes, I do

XGBoost and the Prediction Profiler use completely different metrics for variable importance. The XGBoost add-in produces an index called Gain that is based on the splitting behavior of the underlying boosted trees. The Prediction Profiler uses resampling to produce an index of response variability against predictor variability. The two different rankings will not necessarily be the same.