cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mmolony
Level II

Product Shelf-Life Extension Based on Statistical Analysis of the Collected Stability Data

I am unable to find any reasonable resources on how to use the 'Degradation' feature of JMP.  In older versions (and 13), I've simply been using Fit X by Y and performing linear regression with 95% confidence intervals shown.   

I'm trying to learn the new degrdation features, but there seem to be no good resources that step you through how to fill out the fields and they are vaguely named.  I keep getting a JMP error of "System ID role and Covariates role cannot both be empty", but I have no idea how to solve this.   There is one field in the Degradation Data Analysis Stability Test tab that is titled "Label, System ID" so I am guessing that is the "system ID" in the error message.   I have no idea wha the covariates role is.   Is there a video that step users through an example 'click by click'.    The resource I found from Dr Meeker were great in theoretical information, but short on the 'step by step' use from a practical stand point.   (although his webcast was very informative on the theory--thank you Dr. Meeker).

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Product Shelf-Life Extension Based on Statistical Analysis of the Collected Stability Data

Glad it worked. This is the right place to get help!

ParsaKarthik
Level III

Re: Product Shelf-Life Extension Based on Statistical Analysis of the Collected Stability Data

Hi, 

I have a different case. I have stability data of 0M,1M,3M & 6months in 25degrees C/60%RH & 40 degreesC/75%RH.If i need to extrapolate the data to a new condition, say, 30degress C& 70% RH, how will i do this in JMP? please help.

You have a fundamental problem with your data collection. This data is collected per Q1E and Q1A guidance for demonstrating real-time expiry. It is not an accelerated stress test with two factors. It varies temperature and relative humidity together so you cannot separate their effects. You cannot simultaneously model temperature and relative humidity. 

ParsaKarthik
Level III

ok.. Thank you. If i do a set of experiments varying temperature and RH, can you please let me know how this can be analyzed in JMP?

You can use Custom Design (DOE > Custom Design) to create the design for the specific model that you want to estimate. It will save a table script to perform the standard least squares regression analysis when you have your data. (Note that you might use Augment Design instead to start with the existing data and add new runs to compliment what you already have.)

You can also use the Degradation platform (Analyze > Reliability > Degradation) to model the dependence on temperature and relative humidity and then predict the 'crossing time' for expiry.

See Help > Books > Design of Experiments, Fitting Linear Models, and Reliability and Survival for specific chapters with detailed instructions and examples.

mmolony
Level II

Boy, this is the last time I try to reply on my phone.  The misspellings and missed words were terrible.  Sorry folks.  Here is how it should have read.

"Thank you for your patience and kindness. Your help made it possible for me to easily understand the new (?) degradation feature of JMP. I practiced and MASTERED the THREE features and was able to teach them to colleagues. Thanks for helping me and our company BE successful with our stability studies"