cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jstrut
Level II

Problem with Parameter Estimates in a Regression Interaction

Hello! I am having difficulty looking into what drives an interaction I have found. The interaction is between Age and Group. Since Age is a continuous variable, I have used a regression to look into it. I would like to do individual t-tests within the regression to see what is driving the interaction. I believe this would be under the "Parameter Estimates" section of the report.

However, for whatever reason, JMP does not include all three groups in the Parameter Estimates. It always seems to leave out a group. I tried the model with groups A, B, and C, and it gave me estimates for A and B. When I tried it with just groups B and C, it only gave me estimates for B. And when I tried groups A and C, it again only gave me estimates for A. Why is this? Can anybody help me? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Problem with Parameter Estimates in a Regression Interaction

The mathematics requires that one group be omitted since an observation that does not belong to any of the other groups must belong to that particular group (rendering the matrix noninvertable).  In order to see all the regresssion coefficients, click on the red triangle at the top of the model output and ask for the Expanded Estimates and it will show the coefficients for all the groups (the missing group coefficient is always equal to 0 - sum of the other coefficients).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dale_lehman
Level VII

The mathematics requires that one group be omitted since an observation that does not belong to any of the other groups must belong to that particular group (rendering the matrix noninvertable).  In order to see all the regresssion coefficients, click on the red triangle at the top of the model output and ask for the Expanded Estimates and it will show the coefficients for all the groups (the missing group coefficient is always equal to 0 - sum of the other coefficients).

jstrut
Level II

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for the help and the explanation!