cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Djtjhin
Level IV

Point Cloud Alignment with Iterative Closest Point (ICP)

Hi JMP Community! I wonder if there has been any development around Point Cloud Alignment with Iterative Closest Point in JMP (JSL). I've been trying to find past articles or works around this topic but couldn't find any. Perhaps the community can help point me to a good reference. 

Thanks!

Happy New Year !

2 REPLIES 2
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: Point Cloud Alignment with Iterative Closest Point (ICP)

Regarding 'Perhaps the community can help point me to a good reference' then I found this a nice explanation of ICP. Further searching shows that there are alternative approaches to ICP for point cloud alignment that may be 'better' in some circumstances. FWIW, I personally haven't seen anyone using ICP in JMP (but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done!). Looks like the essence of a good implementation is singular value decomposition, so I would expect it's perfectly possible in JSL, and maybe not too much work. But, depending on your situation, constraints and knowledge, a native JMP implementation may not provide the path of least resistance. For instance, you could try to use JMP's Python integration with this (or another) approach.

Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Point Cloud Alignment with Iterative Closest Point (ICP)

I'm going to revisit Dark Corners  some day, now that I know the name of the algorithm I was looking for! (I used a brute force annealing algorithm that was very slow...minutes per picture, as I recall.)

Craige