Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Lavik17
Level II

Plotting multiple short lines using only points and slopes

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to use a dataset of X,Y and slope values to and plot these on a single graph? Ideally it should also do this by group.

e.g.:

Group. X.  Y.  Slope

A.         1.  1.  2

A.         2.  2.  3

B.         3.  3.  4

The graph will show each of these points, with a slope around it, and the line should be half the distance to the previous and next point in the dataset.

Thank you!!

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Plotting multiple short lines using only points and slopes

A Graph Box() Display Object can handle this.  A script will have to be written to draw the lines, but it wouldn't be a difficult piece of code.

Take a look at the Graph Box() documentation in the Scripting Guide.

Jim
Byron_JMP
Staff

I did something like that where I wanted the g-force vector plotted for every location along a race track.

To get the lines, I added a customize script to the graph like this:

Pen Size( 1 );
For Each Row(
	Line(
		{:NGPSLongitude, :NGPSLatitude},
		{:NGPSLongitude + :gLong / 2000, :NGPSLatitude + :gLat / 2000}
	)
);

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 11.27.16 AM.png

I've attached the data file below. The first script (bubble plot 3) has the figure above.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

Except for me not understanding what you mean by the lines being " half the distance...", another way to do this would be to create 2 new formula columns to find one more X and Y point, then do some table stacking and splitting to create graphs for each group, basically just fitting a line to each of the (now) 2 data points. I've attached a workflow (for which you need JMP 17) to demonstrate this. If you need the script, let me know, and I'll send it along. Output below:

Jed_Campbell_2-1670881678949.png