cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BHarris
Level VI

Plot columns from multiple tables in Graph Builder

Suppose I have two different data tables (different files) that have all different columns except they both have latitude/longitude data.  

Is there a good way to plot the data from both of those using Graph Builder?

We've tried concatenating the tables, but that seems a little messy, putting the entirety of table 2 below and to the right of table 1 -- we're just wondering if there's a better way?

(I'm surprised this hasn't been asked before, or if it has, that my searches didn't find it...)

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Plot columns from multiple tables in Graph Builder

You can always do a virtural join of your data, which allows to deal with the multiple tables as if there was only one table.  Look at the Using JMP document for the details.

Help==>Books==>Using JMP 

Jim
BHarris
Level VI

From what I can tell, virtual join seems to be more about using unique ids as keys into other tables, e.g., a temperature measurements table might have a site column with a unique id for the measurement site, and then another table might have the measurement sites each with it's own id, along with other info like the altitude of the site.

Is there some way I could use that construct to plot lat/lon values out of multiple tables into the same plot using Graph Builder?  I can't think of a way...

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Are the latitude and longitude the same in both files, for example, locations for sample stations? 

BHarris
Level VI

The lat/lon values are both in decimal degrees, if that's what you mean.  The other columns are very different, though.