cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Stats12
Level I

PPK value extremely high

Hi everyone,

I have a process that has a very high Ppk (> 4 ) - can this value be considered correct and what's its interpretation? or doesn't make any sense and there might be an issue with my data/calculations?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
mzwald
Staff

Re: PPK value extremely high

Assuming the measurements are valid, I would interpret this as specs potentially being too loose.

WebDesignesCrow
Super User

If you have check the data & distribution are all valid data;

- The centering & spread is far from spec limits.

Especially for some electrical tests, I've seen Ppk > 6.

Spec limit is based on 3F (Form, Fit & Function). So, the process is good & I will put more focus on lower Ppk process.

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Count your blessings and move on...

statman
Super User

Impossible to give advice as you haven't described the situation well enough.  How did you collect samples used to estimate the descriptive statistics? How representative are your samples?  Over what changing conditions (what is the inference space)?  Have you investigated the measurement systems?  If your measurement system has poor discrimination, then you can under estimate the variation.  Do you have an evidence the process is stable?

A disclaimer, I am not a fan of capability indices.  There are multiple statistics estimated via sampling, therefore there are confidence intervals around each statistic (and, of course, you are reporting one number...there must at least be an interval) and then you have specifications that are independently derived and potentially pulled from thin air...

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box