Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SophieCuvillier
Level III

PLS Interpretation

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with the partial least squares model and so I'm having trouble interpreting the results in jmp. For  example, if I open the "Prostate cancer" table available in JMP's sample index, and run the attached script "Fit Partial Least Squares":  How can I interpret these coefficients below? Are they the coefficients of the "factors" variables created in the factor regressions? 

SophieCuvillier_0-1700586186319.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: PLS Interpretation

To add just a bit to @ih 's advice...here's a link to an on demand webinar I hosted many years ago during my tenure as a JMP Senior Systems Engineer. The JMP Pro version is somewhat dated nowadays but the content hopefully is still relevant: Partial Least Squares: What to Use When Ordinary Least Squares Just Won't Work 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Before jumping to that particular report, I recommend spending some time getting to know PLS in general.  There is a lot of information available in those models, but it takes a little time to understand it.  Coefficients are rarely in the first few places I look.   Here is a paper that seems to walk through the platform with an analysis that might help:

https://support.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/support/en/books/discovering-partial-least-squares-with-jmp/...

P_Bartell
Level VIII

To add just a bit to @ih 's advice...here's a link to an on demand webinar I hosted many years ago during my tenure as a JMP Senior Systems Engineer. The JMP Pro version is somewhat dated nowadays but the content hopefully is still relevant: Partial Least Squares: What to Use When Ordinary Least Squares Just Won't Work 

BrianToth
Level I

Thank you sir for answering, you made my day. I appreciate you. Please mark it as a solution.

View more...
These coefficients represent the strength and direction of the relationship between the original variables and the latent factors. If you're facing a time crunch or need a helping hand with complex assignments, I highly recommend https://writinguniverse.com/academic-ghostwriting/  As a student juggling various responsibilities, I found their expert assistance invaluable. The quality of work delivered was exceptional, meeting the highest academic standards. The discreet and professional approach of their ghostwriters ensured my anonymity. Their team of knowledgeable writers creates unique content that is catered to your requirements, providing assistance without sacrificing academic integrity.
P_Bartell
Level VIII

I can't mark my reply as a solution. Only the person who initiated the Discussion entry can mark it as a solution.

statman
Super User

Or a super user...marked as solved.  Thanks Pete.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Thank you! I just presumed solution could only be granted by the original author.