cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
djhanson
Level V

Outline Box Title Font (can it be set)?

Can the font of an Outline Box title be set (e.g. size, type, color)?  I see there's nothing direct, but was wondering if there was some novel way to reference a TextBox (which can be set), etc? 

Since virtually every canned JMP chart seems to use an Outline Box by default, it would be slick if JMP would let us control the Outline Box font.  I almost succeeded trying something different, but ran into a deadend: I removed a chart's Outline Box title using the report tree and grabbed the chart contents by themselves (replacing the chart title with a TextBox whose font can be controlled), but then I loose the ability to utilize the uber cool Set Label Columns (hover over for data points). So in this case, I got control of my title font, but lost a key feature of charting:(.  Any thoughts appreciated...

dj

3 REPLIES 3
djhanson
Level V

Re: Outline Box Title Font (can it be set)?

Another odd thing I noticed.  I tried making an Outline Box just as a standalone title bar for a chart (but not the default one that is made with a chart).  My title will need to be pretty long and will have spaces.  Well at about 60 string characters, the Outline Box will auto wrap the title string (not what I want).  It appears to do this only if a space is sensed in the string.  Again, this is another example where it would be nice to have some control over the object, like say a <<set wrap message like Text Box.  I'm going to see if there some other way I can trick it into doing what I want (long title with spaces and no wrap).  dj

djhanson
Level V

Ok, I wasn't able to trick it.  So to substitute for the spaces in my title I went searching ASCII characters.  None are really good (meaning discrete/small), so next I went to MS Word symbols.  Finally, I ended up substituting my spaces with the Hebrew symbol "Dagesh", which is a very, very small center dot.  This works pretty nicely and a user can easily demarcate the title words just as the spaces had done before (and of course no wrapping occurs).  dj

Also, in addition to a space, a "-" hyphen causes wrapping as well.  So one has to substitute the "EN dash" or an equivalent.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Does not a non-breaking space do the trick? On the Mac I hit option+space, and even though the appearance in the jsl editor is identical to a normal space, it stops my outline boxes from wrapping the title.

Another trick may be to insert an empty, wide enough box inside the outline box

The Title font can be set in the preferences (should be possible by script as well) but that of course affects titles in all reports which may not be what you want here.