cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rshehadah
Level I

Outliers in data

Hi,

Is there a way in JMP to label outliers in a dataset. For example, I have 100 lots and I want to label the units that are observered on the lower side of the distrubution. I dont care if the outliers perform better than the distrubution, I am more intersted in the lower ones. 

In other words for example, I have a lot with 100 units, 1 or 2 units are outliers. How can I label those units? 

Thank you,

Rami

3 REPLIES 3
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Outliers in data

The easiest way would be to just create a new "outlier" column and mark the rows that are outliers.  You can then make that column a "label" column.  Once you have another column you can use it to color or use different marker styles (like x vs dot).  Since it's a label column you can highlight the points and show the row label.

outlier.png

rshehadah
Level I

Thank you for the reply, but I dont see how I can do that for over 100 lots. Also how would you know those two points are outliers?
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Labelling outliers and finding outliers are two completely different questions.  There are lots of statitistical methods to determine outliers (Pierce, Grubbs, 3 sigma, box and whisker plots, ect)  all of which vary and disagree.  You can use the Analyze > Screening > Explore Outliers tool for this. 

That said, I always put in a word of caution around outliers.  For you a lot is really only an outlier if it experienced a processing different from the rest of your lots.  Data shouldn't be thrown away just b/c it makes your "fit bad" or it "looks high" or it makes my "P-value significant".