cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
antonio-domenic
Level III

Opening Interactive HTML is very SLOW: why? how to improve?

I am struggling with saved interactive html. The problem is that opening file is extremely slow. Could  someone tell me the reason why, or how can fix it?

In .zip attached file ( interactive.html) an example of this: it takes about 4 seconds to open (tried Firefox 94.0.1 and chrome) but there is only one chart and the file size is just 1MB (underlying table is 150rows x 19 columns).

My initial report was: 48 charts (5700 rows) and to open it I needed minutes... So, after seeing some comments in the community, I decided to reduce the file contents to a lower number of charts, but just with only one chart the opening performance in not acceptable.

Let me add some more info:

1) charts are created using Control Chart Builder platform (by scripting)

2) JMP version is 15.1

3) I tried to build the same report using JMP16 without improvement

4) I'm using older reports built with JMP13 to save many interactive Html that do not have opening performance issue (for example a file of about 2MB with  8 Control charts (older Individual measurement), 2 OneWay Anova, 8 Distribution With Capability analysis takes less than 1 second to open)

My final question is: has anything changed in html5 generation or is the reason JMP platform related? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Opening Interactive HTML is very SLOW: why? how to improve?

Thanks @Craige_Hales and @jthi. I also found the Interactive HTML Control Chart attached opened very quickly in Safari on Mac, but browser speed can be affected by many things. The device the browser is running on, and whether or not other programs are running and occupying system resources.

@antonio-domenic, One reason that control charts exported to Interactive HTML with JMP 13 load faster than the same in JMP 15 or JMP 16 is that in JMP 13, we didn't provide any interactivity for control charts.  The control charts were exported as an image of the control chart in JMP.  To provide the same powerful level of interactivity of JMP in Interactive HTML (for control charts starting with JMP 15), we need to export data and rebuild the graphics you see in the chart as well as build data structures that link these graphics to the rows in the data table. These operations can take time with complicated data and complicated graphs - like control charts.

Looking at the X axis of the attached control chart, I see three nested variables. If there was a way to reduce the level of nesting, the interactive HTML control chart would load faster.  If you'd like help figuring out how to do that, please ask and I'll try to help, or contact our JMP technical support and they should be able to help.  They may also be able to help figure out what else may be causing your reports to load slowly. 

Please let me know if this does not help.

~John 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Craige_Hales
Super User

I also see a 3-4 second delay in chrome/firefox/edge. The browsers seem to do a lot of house keeping during that time, though I may be misunderstanding what I'm seeing.

You could save the chart as non-interactive HTML and get the performance back. The Interactive HTML becomes more capable with each JMP release, and you might be seeing features turned on for control charts that were not available before.

@John_Powell_JMP 

Craige
jthi
Super User

For me it seemed to open very fast with Microsoft Edge Version 95.0.1020.44 (Official build) (64-bit).

When I have had issues with opening Interactive HTML due to large file size or due to having lots of points in scatter plot (shouldn't be the case here), I have usually resorted into breaking the interactivity, while still keeping the report "interactive" (this prevents the creation of excessive amount of files in gfx folder). 

Craige has already tagger person from JMP staff who is most likely help you or at least bring insight on what is possibly going on.

-Jarmo

Thanks @Craige_Hales and @jthi. I also found the Interactive HTML Control Chart attached opened very quickly in Safari on Mac, but browser speed can be affected by many things. The device the browser is running on, and whether or not other programs are running and occupying system resources.

@antonio-domenic, One reason that control charts exported to Interactive HTML with JMP 13 load faster than the same in JMP 15 or JMP 16 is that in JMP 13, we didn't provide any interactivity for control charts.  The control charts were exported as an image of the control chart in JMP.  To provide the same powerful level of interactivity of JMP in Interactive HTML (for control charts starting with JMP 15), we need to export data and rebuild the graphics you see in the chart as well as build data structures that link these graphics to the rows in the data table. These operations can take time with complicated data and complicated graphs - like control charts.

Looking at the X axis of the attached control chart, I see three nested variables. If there was a way to reduce the level of nesting, the interactive HTML control chart would load faster.  If you'd like help figuring out how to do that, please ask and I'll try to help, or contact our JMP technical support and they should be able to help.  They may also be able to help figure out what else may be causing your reports to load slowly. 

Please let me know if this does not help.

~John 

antonio-domenic
Level III

Thanks to everybody for your support.

@John_Powell_JMP your suggestion about the X axis can fix the performance issues. The nested variables cause the very low performance. I created a new column as concatenation of the three I used and now also the complete report with 48 different spc charts load within 2 seconds.