cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JesperJohansen
Level IV

Numerical solver add-in

I am looking for a script or add-in which can adjust the values i a single column, recalculate the entire sheet, evaluate some criterion and repeat until some criterion is met. In short I need something which will do for me what the Excel solver add-in does for me in Excel.

Does anyone know of such a tool for or function i JMP?

BR
Jesper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Numerical solver add-in

Hi JesperJohansen,

You might be able to use the Nonlinear platform with a formula column. The solving based on a criterion would all happen in the platform, but then you can save estimates back to the data table column.

Best,

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi JesperJohansen,

You might be able to use the Nonlinear platform with a formula column. The solving based on a criterion would all happen in the platform, but then you can save estimates back to the data table column.

Best,

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The optimizer in the Profiler could help here as well.

In this case you would embed your formula in a column in the data table and then use the Profiler to find optimal settings of the input value based on your desirability criteria.

If you can describe your scenario more completely and/or share some non-proprietary data that will help us point you in the best direction.

Thanks!

-Jeff

-Jeff
JesperJohansen
Level IV

It would be hard to share data of any kind since the formulas themselves are proprietary. A larger concept involving these formulas are in the process of being patented. I thought of using the Nonlinear platform, but I don't see an easy way for this to work. The calculations are quite complex. Although i only need to optimize a single parameter, I need to do so for each row in a data-set of thousands of rows. Also the calculations span several columns, and combining them into one would almost certainly introduce error.

What i was hoping for was a method that would find the value in one column that cause the value in two different columns to be as close to equal as possible. this should be repeated for every row in the data-set.

It closely resembles what the Excel solver add-in does, so I though someone might have built the tool for JMP.

I also thought a script using the Minimize (or Maximize) functions might do the trick, but I guess I would need to script the entire formula set as opposed to just having the formulas in the columns, and then run it "for each row".

BR
Jesper
JesperJohansen
Level IV

The nonlinear platform solved it for me after all. I just had to do the analysis by Row.

BR
Jesper