cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
markschahl
Level V

Note Column Property & Hover Pop-up: how to manipulate?

So, apparently if the Column Property Notes is set, it enables a hover pop-up (when you hover over the column name) displaying the contents of the Notes field. To see this in action: Sample Data>Polyethylene Process.jmp. In this case, the column names are very short and not descriptive. By hovering over the column name, the descriptive Note pops-up. This is a great feature!!!

So, my issue is the following. I work with sensor data acquired from a process data historian. As such, the column name is the tag name, like the following: BRO.L4.CO.RN.PCF101.PV; BRO.L4.CO.RN.PCF101.OP. (BTW, there are 51 tags for PCF101, a flow controller). The data tables we work with have hundreds of columns like this. One cannot memorize what the hundreds of tags refer to. Luckily, we have that information called the Description saved a column property called Description. Now, my questions:

1. Is there a way to control the pop-up to use a different column property, i.e. Description instead of Notes?
  2. If not, what is the most efficient way to copy the Description column property for all columns into the Note column property?

Thanks in advance JMP User Community!

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Re: Note Column Property & Hover Pop-up: how to manipulate?

I don't think you can use your own custom property for the highlight. JMP does have "Alternate Column names" (Using a symbol in place of a column name ) which could work, but they can also be a bit annoying to use and most likely that is one reason for this wish listAllow secondary or alternate column names . 

To update your Description to Notes, scripting is most likely the easiest option, below is one example

Names Default To Here(1); 

dt = open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

colnames = dt << Get Column Names("String");

// Initialization
For Each({colname}, colnames,
	Column(dt, colname) << Delete Property("Notes");
);
For Each({colname}, Remove(colnames, 1),
	desc = Hex(colname);
	Column(dt, colname) << Add Column Properties(Set Property("Description", desc));
);

// Swap
For Each({colname}, colnames,
	descval = Column(dt, colname) << Get Property("Description");
	If(!IsEmpty(descval),
		Column(dt, colname) << Set Property("Notes", descval);
	);
);
-Jarmo
markschahl
Level V

Re: Note Column Property & Hover Pop-up: how to manipulate?

Thank you Jarmo! I've used similar JSL to change column names to those stored in a column property Alias. This is similar to what is in the wish list post. I added a reply to the wish list.