cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dale_lehman
Level VII

Need help getting (x,y) boxes drawn from data

I have a column with numeric X values and another with numeric Y values.  The X and Y values each contain a minimum and maximum value for a series of observations, such as

obs  dimension  min/max  value

1     X               min          1.1

1     X               max         1.5

1     Y               min          0.9

1     Y               max         1.25

I have 5-10 observations, each with coordinates like these.  I would like JMP to draw rectangles on an (x,y) plane with those coordinates.  Can anybody tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Need help getting (x,y) boxes drawn from data

Here is an example of taking your data and drawing a rectangle

Names Default To Here( 1 );

dt = New Table( "Untitled 18",
	Add Rows( 4 ),
	New Column( "dimension", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"X", "X", "Y", "Y"} ) ),
	New Column( "min/max", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"min", "max", "min", "max"} ) ),
	New Column( "value", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [1.1, 1.5, 0, 1.25] ) )
);

dtSplit = dt << Split( Split By( :dimension, :Name( "min/max" ) ), Split( :value ), Sort by Column Property );

New Window( "Example",
	Graph Box(
		Y Scale( 0, 4 ),
		X Scale( 0, 4),
		Pen Color( "Green" );
		Pen Size( 2 );
		For( i = 1, i <= N Rows( dtSplit ), i++,
			Rect( dtSplit:X min[i], dtSplit:Y max[i], dtSplit:X max[i], dtSplit:Y min[i], 0 )
		);
	)
);

The Graph Box functions are all documented at:

Help==>Scripting Index==>Graph Box 

Jim

View solution in original post

txnelson
Super User

There is very good documentation on Creating Maps in the Essential Graphing guide:
Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing
In JMP 13 it is Chapter 15, starting on page 303

I suspect your issue is placing the map on your desktop and getting JMP to be able to find it there. In my use of these maps, I always place them in the AutoLookup folders, and documented in the Essential Graphing guide
Jim

txnelson
Super User

What I suspect that is going on, is that you are not defining the 4 points of your rectangle properly.  Since with a Shape Map, what you are really defining are polygons, they must be defined in a continuous order.  i.e. (top,left), (top,right), (bottom,right), (bottom,left).    

Jim

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Here is an example of taking your data and drawing a rectangle

Names Default To Here( 1 );

dt = New Table( "Untitled 18",
	Add Rows( 4 ),
	New Column( "dimension", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"X", "X", "Y", "Y"} ) ),
	New Column( "min/max", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"min", "max", "min", "max"} ) ),
	New Column( "value", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [1.1, 1.5, 0, 1.25] ) )
);

dtSplit = dt << Split( Split By( :dimension, :Name( "min/max" ) ), Split( :value ), Sort by Column Property );

New Window( "Example",
	Graph Box(
		Y Scale( 0, 4 ),
		X Scale( 0, 4),
		Pen Color( "Green" );
		Pen Size( 2 );
		For( i = 1, i <= N Rows( dtSplit ), i++,
			Rect( dtSplit:X min[i], dtSplit:Y max[i], dtSplit:X max[i], dtSplit:Y min[i], 0 )
		);
	)
);

The Graph Box functions are all documented at:

Help==>Scripting Index==>Graph Box 

Jim
dale_lehman
Level VII

Thank you, that does what I want.  I was also thinking I might want to do this via creating a custom map, but I can't seem to get that to work.  I follow the example in the sample help file but I keep getting the message in graph builder that the shape file is not found.  I created the -Name and -XY files with the same shape ID column.  In the -NAME file I assigned the shape name definition role to the name of my shape(s).  I then created a new file with those names and some data and assigned the shape name use role to the column with the names - I put both the -NAME and -XY files in a new folder on my desktop and pointed to that folder in the shape name use role to tell JMP where to find the files.

I must be missing something - possibly where the paths to the files since I put them in a folder on my desktop.  If anyone has any idea how I may be going wrong, I'd appreciate some tips.

txnelson
Super User

There is very good documentation on Creating Maps in the Essential Graphing guide:
Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing
In JMP 13 it is Chapter 15, starting on page 303

I suspect your issue is placing the map on your desktop and getting JMP to be able to find it there. In my use of these maps, I always place them in the AutoLookup folders, and documented in the Essential Graphing guide
Jim
dale_lehman
Level VII

Thank you again - indeed, moving the name and shape files to the JMP map directory solved the problem.  If you can indulge one more question.  I want the shapes to be rectangles and I put in the coordinates of the 4 corners of the rectangle.  When I use graph builder and the map shape to display, I get the horizontal sides of each rectangle and diagonal lines connecting the corners, but no vertical lines for the sides of the rectangle.  I tried adding more points, but that does not seem to change anything.  Do you know why the coordinates for the 4 corners does not produce a rectangle but instead produces what I've described.  I am attempting to attach a screenshot but don't know if it will work.  Any ideas of how to change it to a rectangle would be appreciated.Capture.JPG

txnelson
Super User

What I suspect that is going on, is that you are not defining the 4 points of your rectangle properly.  Since with a Shape Map, what you are really defining are polygons, they must be defined in a continuous order.  i.e. (top,left), (top,right), (bottom,right), (bottom,left).    

Jim
dale_lehman
Level VII

Excellent!  Thank you so much this is a perfect solution.