cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Name Unresolved Error: Name Unresolved: lf in access or evaluation of 'lf' , lf

Hi,

I have a variable called lf, (lf = ListF << Get Items, where ListF is a list of items). I define ListF within a function that contains a button box. In the function for that button box, which is defined after the function where ListF is defined, I set lf = ListF << GetItems.  I can access the lf variable inside the functions but after the functions, when I write print(lf); it gives me this name unresolved error. Could you give me an idea as to why?

Function where ListF is defined:

selectFileButton = Function({y},
win1 = New Window( "Select Files",
Lineup Box( N Col( 2 ), Spacing( 3 ),
Button Box( "File To Tag", ListF << Append( ListData << GetSelected )),
ListF = List Box( fileSelected, width( lbWidth ), nLines( 5 ), Numeric ), 
Button Box("OK", OKScript1))));

Function where lf is defined:

OKScript1 = Expr(
	//win1 << CloseWindow;
	lf = ListF << Get Items);  

Outside both those functions:

print(lf); 

2 REPLIES 2
Jaz
Jaz
Level IV

Re: Name Unresolved Error: Name Unresolved: lf in access or evaluation of 'lf' , lf

Still stuck on this, would really appreciate any help. Will provide the full code if needs be, thanks.

glenn_maxey0
Level I

Re: Name Unresolved Error: Name Unresolved: lf in access or evaluation of 'lf' , lf

Variable scope *might* be the issue. "lf" seems to be created and assigned a value inside of the eval chunk of code: a local variable. When that chunk of code is complete, garbage collection deletes the local variable.

Define "lf" and assign it a bogus value early so it becomes global. Then when are running the eval later, it won't define a local "lf" but a global "lf" that then the eval updates.