Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
EH1
EH1
Level III

Multiple Response error

Hi All,

I have a data file which keeps giving me the error: "The Multiple Response column property is not appropriate for a column with the Numeric data type."

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 11.00.01 AM.png

I have checked all of my MR columns and they were all set to "character".  I still received the error, so I deleted the MR columns completely and saved the file -- still same error. I then checked the "column info" for EVERY column and found one column that had MR in the column property which shouldn't have been there. Net, I deleted that column completely and resaved the file, but still get the same error.

The log shows: "Unknown format: Character", but does not tell me which column is causing the issue.  How can I identify the problem column?

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 1.47.02 PM.png

Thank you!

Erica 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Multiple Response error

You could script this and loop over the columns while deleting Multiple Response column property

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = Current Data Table();

For Each({col_name}, dt << Get Column Names("String"),
	show(Column(dt, col_name) << Get Property("Multiple Response"));
	Column(dt, col_name) << Delete Property("Multiple Response");
);

You can also remove these by using Standardize Column Attributes (at least this worked for me):

1. Select all weirdly behaving columns

2. Open Standardize Column Attributes and delete Multiple Response column property

jthi_0-1655567553003.png

It might also be a good idea to contact JMP Support about this. This can be easily replicated (Using JMP16.2 Pro on Windows):

1. Create table with Character column with numeric values

jthi_0-1655567149159.png

2. Set Multiple Response Column property

jthi_1-1655567167938.png

3. Change data type to numeric and modeling type to nominal

jthi_3-1655567241818.png

4. Now you have Numeric column with Multiple Response set

5. Go back to the column menu and change Data type back to Character

6. Close column menu and reopen it. Multiple Response will be visible again

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You might try Cols > Column Viewer with the data table open. Select all of the columns in the table, Click the column properties button to filter.

I am not sure that this will help. You have tried all the right things. The fact that it keeps showing the error suggests that you might contact JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com) to see what they know. Please reply here if you get an answer.

EH1
EH1
Level III

Hi Mark,

Thank you!  Column Viewer enabled me to find the columns causing the issue, however, none of them show "Multiple Response" in their column properties.

I've deleted most of the columns in the file so it is easy to see the ones causing the issue (Question 1-11).  I've tried using "Standardize Attributes" to change the "modeling type" a couple of times just to see if that would reset something...  but, they still show as MR columns in the Column Viewer.  Any thoughts on how I might correct this (i.e. clear "MR" from these columns)?  I've attached the file below.

Thanks,

Erica

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 3.05.54 PM.png

jthi
Super User

You could script this and loop over the columns while deleting Multiple Response column property

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = Current Data Table();

For Each({col_name}, dt << Get Column Names("String"),
	show(Column(dt, col_name) << Get Property("Multiple Response"));
	Column(dt, col_name) << Delete Property("Multiple Response");
);

You can also remove these by using Standardize Column Attributes (at least this worked for me):

1. Select all weirdly behaving columns

2. Open Standardize Column Attributes and delete Multiple Response column property

jthi_0-1655567553003.png

It might also be a good idea to contact JMP Support about this. This can be easily replicated (Using JMP16.2 Pro on Windows):

1. Create table with Character column with numeric values

jthi_0-1655567149159.png

2. Set Multiple Response Column property

jthi_1-1655567167938.png

3. Change data type to numeric and modeling type to nominal

jthi_3-1655567241818.png

4. Now you have Numeric column with Multiple Response set

5. Go back to the column menu and change Data type back to Character

6. Close column menu and reopen it. Multiple Response will be visible again

-Jarmo
EH1
EH1
Level III

Hi there,

Thank you - that was my issue!  I had Multiple Response column properties, but could not see them since the column was set to numeric.  I used your suggestion of Standardize Attributes to remove the Multiple Response column property.

Again, thank you!

Erica

statman
Super User

Could you please attach the JMP file so we can have a look?  Screen shots of the error don't help diagnose the cause of the problem.  The data type needs to be set appropriately (see the attached JMP data set where Brush Delimited is MR)

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box