cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abba0046
Level I

Multinomial logistic regression in JMP

I am trying to perform multinomial logistic regression in JMP.  I am using example from IDRE-UCLA (http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/dae/mlogit.htm).  In this this example (hsbdemo data set) how can I specify the baseline category for prog using (ref = "2") and the reference group for ses using (ref = "1") while working in JMP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Multinomial logistic regression in JMP

Hello,

I think you can specify the reference level by using the Value Ordering column property for prog.

For the ses variable, JMP and SAS use different parameterizations, so to get JMP to match, you would need to create indicator columns yourself.

For the prog Value Ordering property, make sure that the column is Nominal or Ordinal. Then make sure that the value '2' is listed last in the Value Ordering property (right click on the column heading, select Column Info, Column Properties, Value Ordering to add/edit the property).

For the ses indicator columns, create a column ses2 that equals 1 if ses=2 and 0 otherwise. Create an analogous column ses3 set equal to 1 if ses=3 and 0 otherwise. Then run Fit Model with Y=prog and Effects ses2, ses3, and write.  The resulting logistic regression should match what is on the IDRE-UCLA page.

A colleague at JMP that helped me with this also pointed out that you can get SAS to match JMP's default results by using the param=effect option in the class statement in PROC LOGISTIC, like this:

proc logistic data = hsbdemo;

class prog ses / param=effect;

model prog = ses write / link = glogit;

run;

Hope this helps!

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Multinomial logistic regression in JMP

Hello,

I think you can specify the reference level by using the Value Ordering column property for prog.

For the ses variable, JMP and SAS use different parameterizations, so to get JMP to match, you would need to create indicator columns yourself.

For the prog Value Ordering property, make sure that the column is Nominal or Ordinal. Then make sure that the value '2' is listed last in the Value Ordering property (right click on the column heading, select Column Info, Column Properties, Value Ordering to add/edit the property).

For the ses indicator columns, create a column ses2 that equals 1 if ses=2 and 0 otherwise. Create an analogous column ses3 set equal to 1 if ses=3 and 0 otherwise. Then run Fit Model with Y=prog and Effects ses2, ses3, and write.  The resulting logistic regression should match what is on the IDRE-UCLA page.

A colleague at JMP that helped me with this also pointed out that you can get SAS to match JMP's default results by using the param=effect option in the class statement in PROC LOGISTIC, like this:

proc logistic data = hsbdemo;

class prog ses / param=effect;

model prog = ses write / link = glogit;

run;

Hope this helps!

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development