cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MathStatChem
Level VI

Moving from Windows 10 to MacOS

I recently was required by one of my clients to start using MacOS, and they provided me with a new MacBook Pro loaded with JMP 16.  

I have avoided MacOS for many, many years, even when several colleagues ( @DonMcCormack@brady_brady in particular) used it and sang it's praises.  I even gave them a lot of flack about it ("why do you want to be that way, friend?").  Well, I have to admit, I REALLY LIKE THE NEW MAC!  So, now I'm learning how to use MacOS and JMP on MacOS at the same time.  

I was hoping MacOS users could share some tips and tricks that are Mac specific, and things to watch out for or that are unexpectedly different when using MacOS vs Windows.  

I await some good advice (and some friendly needling from those colleagues I used to make fun of...).

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Moving from Windows 10 to MacOS

RunProgram is a little different because Mac is a unix-like system under the covers. In addition to fully specifying the executable path, the parms must be in a list form (on Win, the parms can be a single string that will get parsed later...you parse them into multiple strings on Mac.)

There is an ishost() function if you need it.

I had a note on my Mac telling me how to use directories and how to access the network.

I heard some good advice on answering the "which is best" question a long time ago: What do your friends use? That's what you should get, because that's who will be answering your questions!

Craige

Re: Moving from Windows 10 to MacOS

Invest in the following little helper apps: Alfred, Bartender, Magnet, and CommandQ. Macs are awesome, but these are my secret sauce for working in the OS more efficiently.

For scripting, I stick to POSIX file path separators - that way add-ins, etc. don't need to know what OS they're living in (https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/16.0/?os=mac&source=application&utm_source=helpmenu&utm_medium=a...). Also, if you're doing anything with fonts us the JMP font type name (look in Fonts in Preferences - use the names on the buttons). This will avoid any surprises with look and feel of scripts and reports between OS's.

M