Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Stephen2020
Level II

Mixed model terminology

Hi All,

I'm working through a paper where I am looking at fish swimming performance and am controlling for individual nested within species. I have two different types of tests I am running using the mixed model personality and I need help describing (naming, characterizing) those models when I write up my paper. In the journals I have submitted to I get a lot of reviews complaining that they don't understand what I am doing with my data because they are unfamiliar with JMP and the mixed model platform.

In the first test I am looking for differences between species in several input variables/body metrics (maximum bending curvature, duration of turn, etc).

In the model my fixed effect is Species and my random effect is Individual nested within species. If I didn't have individual as a random effect this would be a simple T-test, but I am unsure what to call it when I control for individual variation.

The second test is a linear model, in this case my fixed effects are species, bending curvature, and turn duration (and the full factorial of interactions), again with the random effect of individual nested in species. I'm assuming I can just call this a linear mixed model.

Thanks,

Stephen

10 REPLIES 10
Stephen2020
Level II

Re: Mixed model terminology

I also need to create graphs with interaction plots from the LMM. I created a new discussion for that. Export/Extract Line Equations to make Graphics outside JMP - JMP User Community