cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jay_holavarri
Level III

Missing Value Codes vs Range Check

For process capability reports for vision systems, there are four kinds of data: 1. good measurements (even if a part is OOS, it is an accurate measurement), 2. bad measurements (camera finds the wrong reference fiducial -- these are typically >> 6 sigma OOS), 3. vision errors (system reports a numeric error code, like -9999), and 4. missing data (part did not get measured or data was not sent). 

Using Missing Value Codes takes care of #3. I like how MVC works -- the number is still visible in the table but the cell is not used in the analysis. And since it doesn't exclude the entire row, it does not affect measurements from other process data columns in the data table.

For bad measurements, the built-in option is Range Check. But it sets the values to missing, which conflates bad measurements with missed measurements. I need to know the difference, and since it changes the table you cannot go back and check. It is not reversible like MVC. I also found that Range Check supersedes MVC. So if I have a MVC set up in properties, it won't do anything if the MVC is outside of the Range Check.

To treat all these separately, I think I have to script something that scans the whole table and do it myself. What would be helpful is to either A) Have some other option besides set-to-missing for the Range Check -- like an option to change those values to a custom number; or B) have a range option for the MVC.

Curious if others have a method for dealing with a column that has a combination of missing, error codes, and bad data. And keeping them straight.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jay_holavarri
Level III

Re: Missing Value Codes vs Range Check

One thing I had not used is the Explore Outliers function. Using that in JSL solved all my problems. It works across multiple columns and it adds a list of MVC codes. It does what I wanted, but better.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Allow using limits in Missing Value Codes or provide new column property with same functionality should be coming.

Depending on the data and analysis, I sometimes stack the data and then I can exclude single rows. Other thing I have done is to replace the values with missing values by scripting and keep the replaced values saved somewhere (other data table, matrix...).

-Jarmo
jay_holavarri
Level III

One thing I had not used is the Explore Outliers function. Using that in JSL solved all my problems. It works across multiple columns and it adds a list of MVC codes. It does what I wanted, but better.