cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Niko_Porjo
Level I

Memory usage when creating many tables

When creating many tables and then closing them JMP seems to keep the tables or some remnants in memory. The memory is sometimes released after a while. I ran into this when simulating a measurement situation with noise sources. JMP din't crash but after RAM ran out windows started swapping to HDD.

Below is the simplest example where I was able to repeat the problem.

Question: is this expected behaviour and/or did I do something funny?

Note to anyone encountering the same: uncommenting the Wait(0); removes the problem, but seems to have a small (~10 %) performance penalty at least in the case where this was a problem.

For (i = 1, i <= 100000, i++,
	dt = New Table("Name of the table",
		New Column("Name of the column", Set Values(1::20000)),
	);
	// Do stuff
	Close(dt, "No Save");	
	//Wait(0);
);

JMP 14.0.0 64-bit, Win 10

4 REPLIES 4
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: Memory usage when creating many tables

@Niko_Porjo
         Try to include an "invisible" or a "private" flag when you open so many data tables. Making Data Tables "invisible" will help you see some improvement and making it "private" will help you see significant improvements. 

Best
Uday

Why create a new table in each iteration? You could create a data table before iterating and the update the contents in each iteration.

Niko_Porjo
Level I

Mostly because I used parts from scripts I had already written before and didn't want to change them. In many cases I prefer slow scripts over working on the script to make it faster.

In some cases the data tables get their data from matrices:

dt = As Table(matrixWithData, private);

Is there a way to easily put the data into an existing data table? That would make the changes relatively simple.

ian_jmp
Staff

Regarding the last question, you could use data table subscripting:

NamesDefaultToHere(1);

// Make a starting table to update later
mat = J(10, 5, RandomNormal());
dt = AsTable(mat);
dt << setName("My Table");

// Update the last four columns of dt (using data table subscripting) with new values
Wait(3);
mat = J(10, 4, RandomNormal());
dt[1::10, 2::5] = mat;