cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
GregMcMahon
Level III

Matched pair analysis with categorical responses

Hello everyone,

This will be straightforward I'm sure. I have 100 rows of data representing individuals. The two columns are binned percentages (0-10%, 11-20% etc.), one for two different years. If the responses were numeric, the matched pair analysis would be exactly what I want. But the responses are categorical so that is out. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Greg

5 REPLIES 5
GregMcMahon
Level III

Re: Matched pair analysis with categorical responses

Just one other thing to add - it looks like the Agreement statistic may be what I'm after, except I'm more interested in the change and if it is trending up or down.

Agreement between ordinal variables is like correlation between quantitative variables.

The Cochran Armitage test might be helpful to you, too.

GregMcMahon
Level III

Thank you Mark!

GregMcMahon
Level III

Hi Mark,

For the Cochran-Armitage, are you  suggesting I recode the percentage bins to 1,2,3..and make it an ordinal scale?

Thanks again,

Greg

I thought it was already ordinal. The bins as you originally described are find, just change the modeling type to ordinal and make sure that the value orders are correct. If they are not correct, then add the Value Order column property and specify the correct order.