cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nikles
Level VI

Load Text File() File Size Limit?

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone knows what the file size limit is for using the Load Text File() function?  I've imported text files up to 1GB, but noticed it fails somewhere at or above 2GB for my system.  Knowing this limit would be nice so I could warn the user ahead of time that the file is too big to open.  I understand it may be system dependent, but if anyone knows how this limit could be estimated, that would be great.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Load Text File() File Size Limit?

Text, and strings are limited to 2gig. You can load a blob as big as you need up to memory.
Craige

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Load Text File() File Size Limit?

Text, and strings are limited to 2gig. You can load a blob as big as you need up to memory.
Craige
Monomorphist
Level III

(Re: Load Text File() File Size Limit?

I've loaded recently a csv file with 310 million rows (17GB)! Worked!! Quite impressive....

Cheers,

Kofi

Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: (Re: Load Text File() File Size Limit?

@Monomorphist  using open() or multiple file import() ? Both of those read the file, incrementally, from disk, avoiding the 2G limit. Open() may read the file more than once. MFI could be a lot faster, especially if you have more than one file to load at the same time.

@nikles  I probably should have asked: what sort of data is in the text file? Maybe there is another approach.

Craige