cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XII

List of Strings

To create a matrix of N identical numbers, I can use J(N, 1, number).

What is the shortest (syntax) and fastest way to create a list of N identical strings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: List of Strings

Repeat({"A"}, 1000)
-Jarmo

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jthi
Super User

Repeat({"A"}, 1000)
-Jarmo
hogi
Level XII

: )

Scripting Index -> Online Help -> Scripting Guide:
https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/18.0/#page/jmp/repeat-function.shtml#ww270242 

hogi_1-1729246548568.png

I fear a LLM will have its difficulties with such cool hidden features ...

jthi
Super User

I'm not really sure if there is anything hidden about Repeat()? Of course, you have to know about it, but you will come across it fairly quickly in scripting index. But you might need a bit of luck as the function group which it belongs to is Character and not Character, Matrix and List which it should be but it isn't the only one like this.

You can also go with a bit more "normal" route where replace all values in a list

Names Default To Here(1);

l = As List(J(1000, 1, .));

l[1::N Items(l)] = "A";

show(l);

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XII

It's easy to find Repeat, but it's more difficult to find and understand the correct syntax to generate the list.

hogi_1-1729320765729.png

hogi_3-1729320842146.png

hogi_0-1729320706687.png

jthi
Super User

Both scripting index and Scripting Guide provide an example for that

jthi_0-1729343016746.png

jthi_1-1729343030636.png

Function description also tells quite accurately what Repeat() does but it does require some extra understanding on how concatenation of lists in JMP works. Luckily JSL Syntax Reference at least offers link to Scripting Guide which has much better documentation of the function

jthi_2-1729343070562.png

Also one more method is to use Substitute (Repeat() is what I would use in simple case like this)

Names Default To Here(1);

l = Substitute(As List(J(1000, 1, 1)), 1, "A");
-Jarmo
hogi
Level XII

Yes, see https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/List-of-Strings/m-p/806737/highlight/true#M98527 
I agree, it's very well described in the Scripting Guide. Interesting that the LLM did not find / use (?)  this information.

From the Scripting Index and the JSL syntax reference it's not possible to get this detail.

[Scripting Index: ... without executing the code - and interpreting the result].

Some comments / details will help the users - and the LLM.

Once the documentation can be found and understood by a LLM, JSL coding will be like heaven : )