cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
aallman
Level III

List of Missing Values

I am writing a script that determines positional information using lists. It repeats several times for different groups of data, but some of the groups do not contain what I am looking for. This results in a list of missing values {., ., ., ., ., .}. 

When there are values in the list, I use List[Loc Nonmissing(List)] to get only the nonmissing values from my list and then N Items to count how many nonmissing values my list contains. However, when the list has only empty values, Loc Nonmissing returns [](0,1) which gives an error because it is used as a subscript. 

I can't figure out a way to deal with these lists full of missing values. Does anyone have any ideas???

3 REPLIES 3

Re: List of Missing Values

Maybe try using a "Try()".  This will prevent the error and you can add an argument in the Try() statement to just assign a value of zero to any variable that might contain the N Items command.  

txnelson
Super User

Another method that I have used in such cases, is to use the Sum() function.  It will work for both lists and scaler values, and will return a missing value when all elements of the list are missing.

Jim
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The [](0,1) indicates that it returned a matrix with 0 rows and 1 column.

So, you can use the NRow() function to see if it has 0 rows and act accordingly.

//:*/
x={., ., ., ., ., .};

y=loc nonmissing(x);

nrow(y);
/*:

-Jeff