Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ErikSwan
Level I

Link or lock axis together?

Hi,

I am a relatively new JMP and JSL user, and I'm trying to produce a report with multiple graphs. I want to link the x-axis of both graphs together, so that when one x-axis is scaled or otherwise changed (reference line added, etc.), the other axis changes as well.

Some of the built-in platforms already do this, such as the Control Chart, which links the x-axis for the "Individual Measurement" and "Moving Range" graphs.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
dt << Control Chart( Chart Col( Height, "Individual
Measurement", "Moving Range" ), K Sigma( 3 ) );

How can I reproduce this for my own reports/custom platforms/etc.? I haven't been able to figure out how the Control Chart report is accomplishing this, despite looking at the tree structure and the properties for the display boxes.

For example, how could I link the two x-axis in the following report using JSL?

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
dt << Distribution(
	Stack( 1 ),
	Continuous Distribution(
		Column( :height ),
		Horizontal Layout( 1 ),
		Vertical( 0 ),
		Count Axis( 1 )
	),
	By( :sex )
);

I am using JMP 13.2.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Link or lock axis together?

You can attach a script to the frame box() that can detect changes in the Axis Box() and then reset all of the axes to the new values from the Axis Box() that was reset.  

See the Scripting Index for details.

I typically use in the Frame Box << Add Graphics Script a check on the X Origin, and X Range changing in the Axis Box().

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @ErikSwan,

I think you might be able to use uniform scaling.

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Blood Pressure.jmp" );
obj = Distribution( Column( :BP 8M, :BP 12M, :BP 6M, :BP 8W, :BP 12W ) );
obj << Uniform Scaling( 1 );
obj << Lock Scales( 1 );
obj << Stack( 1 );

Uniform ScalingUniform Scaling

Cheers,

Stan

ErikSwan
Level I

Stan,

Thanks for the response. This seems to set the scales to be the same initially, but if I grab one of the axes and change the scale, the other axes don't update, which is what I was trying to accomplish. I.e. I'm hoping to link them so that they are always in sync with each other, like with the Control Chart platform's report.

Any other ideas?

- Erik

ErikSwan
Level I

Bump. Any other ideas on this? Surely there is some API/JSL that the built-in platforms are using to accomplish this?

txnelson
Super User

You can attach a script to the frame box() that can detect changes in the Axis Box() and then reset all of the axes to the new values from the Axis Box() that was reset.  

See the Scripting Index for details.

I typically use in the Frame Box << Add Graphics Script a check on the X Origin, and X Range changing in the Axis Box().

Jim
ErikSwan
Level I

Jim, thanks.

I don't think this is the same method that the "built-in" reports and platforms are using, because I don't see any Graphics Scripts in the properties when I inspect the built-in plots and axis. I'm guessing they are using some hidden API that isn't documented.

However, I think your method is an acceptable workaround that should work in most cases. The performance isn't great, but it does work. Thanks!