cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
kanchanjoshi
Level I

Linear fit

Hi,

Somehow I am unable to do a simple task and need help.

How do I create a "Fit each value" and "Linear fit" with Months of a year on x-axis and percent values on y-axis?

I am trying to use "Fit y by x": Looks like the Month-Year column needs some fixing.

I can only select the "Contingency" option; "Bivariate" option becomes deactivated

Thanks for your tolerance.

Kanchan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Linear fit

Your x axis variable is not a continuous variable, it has been created with either an Ordinal or Nominal modeling type.  If you change the modeling type for that column to continuous, the bivariate options will be there.  I suspect, your X axis column is a Character column, which forces the modeling type to be nominal.  You will have to change the column to numeric before changing the modeling type.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

Your x axis variable is not a continuous variable, it has been created with either an Ordinal or Nominal modeling type.  If you change the modeling type for that column to continuous, the bivariate options will be there.  I suspect, your X axis column is a Character column, which forces the modeling type to be nominal.  You will have to change the column to numeric before changing the modeling type.

Jim
kanchanjoshi
Level I

Thanks Jim for your prompt help!

JMP would not allow to select modeling type "continuous" though I have changed column formats to "date" and "percentages" in spreadsheet that I used to create data.