cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
alihong812
Level I

Line graph

Hello,

I am trying to make a line graph to resemble this:

My goalMy goal

However, in my result (please see below), if you look vertically, the points do not line up with the x-axis like what is shown in the previous figure. I am currently using JMP13, the goal figure was created using JMP12. Could anyone help with this issue? Thanks!

Picture1.png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Line graph

Make the picture as you have already done. Now, over to the left of graph builder, look for the "jitter" checkbox and clear the checkmark on that box. I think that will fix the problem.

Dan Obermiller
alihong812
Level I

Hi Dan, thank you for your reply! However I unchecked the "jitter" box but nothing has changed.Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 13.15.53.png

julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @alihong812,

As @Dan_Obermiller pointed out, you can usually stop the points from jittering to fix this issue, but when error bars are displayed (with a categorical x) jittering is enforced to ensure the non-overlap of the error bars (for levels of the overlay role). I'm going to make two guesses (and then hopefully offer you a solution). My first guess is that your x-variable is currently set to be nominal (or ordinal) modeling type, and my second guess is that when you made the previous figure in JMP 12, you had that same x-variable to be a continuous modeling type. My second guess is actually my proposed solution: change the modeling type for your x-variable to be continuous (which will work here since you have numeric levels), and JMP will force the points (and even the error bars) to overlap (see figure below). 

I hope this helps!

@julian 

Nominal.gif

alihong812
Level I

Yes! That's why. Thank you so much!!