cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Likert scale in correlation analysis

Hi all. I am working on my master thesis and are struggling with my correlation analysis.

My plan for the statistics from my survey are:

1. Item analysis
  2. PCA and factor analysis
  3. Correlation analysis
  4. Multiple regression
  5. Cluster analysis.

In my assumptions in correlation analysis I have problems with the fitting of the likert scale data to find linearity among other things. Is it better to use the factor scores from factor analysis of my independent variables or should I use my likert scale ratings, which is not continuous?

My dependant variable is also a likert scale.

Best regards

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: Likert scale in correlation analysis

Hi,
Sorry, I'm not clear what you mean by " I have problems with the fitting of the likert scale data to find linearity among other things". Can you say more about this? What questions are you trying to answer with your correlation analysis?
Thanks,
Phil

Re: Likert scale in correlation analysis

Hi @Phil_Kay. I am trying to figure, if there are any correlations which could influence on the multiple regression I do afterwards.

My problems is the assumptions on linearity, where it seems, that likert scales cannot be linear.

How can I see whether my sample has linearity or not?