cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
stat_mr_h
Level II

Learning materials for DOE ?

I am a statistician and must train myself in DOE for my new role. Since I have no prior knowledge or experience in DOE, I am looking for training materials (books, courses, etc.) to help me quickly fill the gap.

Below are my main goals:

1. Know how to choose the most optimal plan given the situation
  2. Know how to ask efficient questions to stakeholders to refine the plan
  3. Analyze the results
  4. Know how to apply all these steps with JMP

I can spend 4 hours per day on learning and would love to achieve my goals in 3-4 weeks. Ideally, I would like to limit my sources of learning materials to 1-2.

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Thank you,

H

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Learning materials for DOE ?

I recommend starting with the SAS/JMP "Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving" online, free course. Here's a link to the home page: Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving 

Two main advantages: 1. You'll learn the basics of DOE from a problem solving context point of view. 2. And 'how to' in JMP.

For more of a reference point of view, two recommendations are "Statistics for Experimenters", Box, Hunter and Hunter and "Optimal Design of Experiments" by Jones and Goos. Neither of these books show you 'how to' in JMP...but once you complete the STIPS course you'll be fluent enough in JMP to replicate the examples in the books without too much trouble.

View solution in original post

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @stat_mr_h,

Welcome in the Community !

You could maybe start with the excellent ressources JMP offers, in order to combine learning and practice :

And some other JMP ressources listed by @maria_astals in the JMP Design of Experiments Club discussions.

You can also join Design of Experiments Club, a group of passionate DoE users with quarterly meetings and insightful discussions. Next meeting is planned on 11th June : https://www.jmp.com/en_gb/events/users-groups/users-group-meetings/doe-community-of-practice-multi-r... 

This JMP quizz would be a good starting point to have a first recommendation about which type of design to try first : DOE Quiz (jmp.com)

Concerning book recommendation, you may be interested in "Optimal designs of experiments, a case study approach" by Peter Goos and Bradley Jones.

You can also check the blog posts from Synthace, they have interesting articles to better understand DoE : Blog - Synthace. They have also listed and recommended some books on DoE depending on your understanding, level and interests : 7 Design of Experiments Books We Love in 2023 - Synthace

Hope these courses recommandations will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
P_Bartell
Level VIII

I recommend starting with the SAS/JMP "Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving" online, free course. Here's a link to the home page: Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving 

Two main advantages: 1. You'll learn the basics of DOE from a problem solving context point of view. 2. And 'how to' in JMP.

For more of a reference point of view, two recommendations are "Statistics for Experimenters", Box, Hunter and Hunter and "Optimal Design of Experiments" by Jones and Goos. Neither of these books show you 'how to' in JMP...but once you complete the STIPS course you'll be fluent enough in JMP to replicate the examples in the books without too much trouble.

stat_mr_h
Level II

Thank you for the recommendations.
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @stat_mr_h,

Welcome in the Community !

You could maybe start with the excellent ressources JMP offers, in order to combine learning and practice :

And some other JMP ressources listed by @maria_astals in the JMP Design of Experiments Club discussions.

You can also join Design of Experiments Club, a group of passionate DoE users with quarterly meetings and insightful discussions. Next meeting is planned on 11th June : https://www.jmp.com/en_gb/events/users-groups/users-group-meetings/doe-community-of-practice-multi-r... 

This JMP quizz would be a good starting point to have a first recommendation about which type of design to try first : DOE Quiz (jmp.com)

Concerning book recommendation, you may be interested in "Optimal designs of experiments, a case study approach" by Peter Goos and Bradley Jones.

You can also check the blog posts from Synthace, they have interesting articles to better understand DoE : Blog - Synthace. They have also listed and recommended some books on DoE depending on your understanding, level and interests : 7 Design of Experiments Books We Love in 2023 - Synthace

Hope these courses recommandations will help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
stat_mr_h
Level II

Thanks Victor for the detailed roadmap. Really appreciate it!