Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SDF1
Super User

Known bug in DOE > Augment Design?

Hi All,

(W10 64-bit, JMP Pro 16.0 or JMP 16.0)

My colleagues and I have run into a bug in the DOE > Augment Design platform. Perhaps this has been fixed in the 16.1 release, but we don't have that pushed out from our IT yet.

The issue is that we have a DOE that has one continuous X1 and one 3-level categorical X2. It was a custom design DOE looking at X1, X2, and X1*X2. After working through the DOE, the users wanted to augment it by adding another level to X2. Seems simple enough. Well, when we go to DOE > Augment Design and cast the columns into their appropriate roles, we try to click on the down arrow of the categorical X2 to "Add Level", but whenever we do that, JMP crashes and we get the error below:

DiedrichSchmidt_0-1633957046572.png

I'm adding a mock DOE table with the continuous and categorical factors in case others want to confirm this bug. If this has been fixed in the 16.1 release, until we get that, does anyone have an idea of how to workaround this issue?

Thanks!,

DS

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Known bug in DOE > Augment Design?

Hi @SDF1 ,

I was able to augment your original design using JMP 16.1.  Please see the attached table.

As a work around, trying clicking the Augment button at the bottom of the UI instead of clicking the Add Level toggle.  I am not sure this will be any different for you as I did this in JMP 16.1 as well.

I was also able to create an augmented design of your example with JMP 15.2.1 using the Add Level toggle.

Best,

Bill

SDF1
Super User

Hi @Bill_Worley!,

Thanks for the response and running the Augmented Design. Unfortunately, when I try Augment, I'm not able to edit the number of levels for the categorical factor. I actually just remembered I have JMP 17EA on my personal laptop and was able to generate the augmented DOE with an additional level for the categorical value.

I think there is a bug in the 16.0 release because you were able to generate it with 16.1 and I can generate it with 17EA.

On a side note, do you know why the augmented design with the extra level doesn't generate any center point runs? For the original design, my colleagues had some center points for the continuous factor, but augmented design only generates additional runs for the corners and not the center. Just curious on this one.

Thanks!,

DS

Hey @SDF1,

I am not sure if what you are experiencing with Augment Design in JMP 16 is known or not so please send JMP Tech Support a note as well.

As for why there are no center points generated in the augmented design for your continuous variable, I would only be guessing and that wouldn't be helpful.  Looking to one of the JMP DOE staff to chime in on this one.

Best,

Bill

SDF1
Super User

Hi @Bill_Worley ,

I'm hoping one of the DOE people can comment on that. It seems like the augmented design should offer the option of center runs at least.

I have submitted a crash report to JMP Technical Support, so hopefully they can review the dump files and maybe determine what the problem is. I find it odd that it wasn't there in previous version, then is there in 16.0, but gone in 16.1 and 17EA.

Thanks!,

DS

I don't know why center points are not an option when augmenting, but you can always Add Center Points first, then augment again to add the additional runs. A bit awkward, but still possible.

Keep in mind that with a 4-level categorical factor there is not a true center point. So JMP will just add center points for each level of the categorical factor. So you would likely want a multiple of 4 for the number of center points.

Dan Obermiller
SDF1
Super User

Hi @Dan_Obermiller ,

Thanks for the feedback. I actually found that in order to get the design arranged how the user is intending, it actually worked better to add the additional level and then go back and add center points. I think it worked better this way because there were center points in the original design.

Thanks!,

DS

Yes, it makes sense to augment with the additional level first, THEN augment again to add the center points. I meant to put them in that order.

Dan Obermiller