Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nhoctia1
Level I

Keep label of individual data points when adding mean and standard deviation

Hi,

I added labels to my data already in the table.

When I use graph builder to plot the data as individual points, I got individual data point as the label (marker) that I set in the Table.

However, when I add mean and standard devidation, all the individual data points became the same.

I tried to overlay the data, I could get different labels but could not add mean and standard deviation

Looking forward for your help

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Keep label of individual data points when adding mean and standard deviation

Hi, can you clarify your question, please?

• How are you adding labels to your data (are you labeling rows, columns, or both)?
  • How are you adding mean and standard deviation (via caption box, or some other method)

Is there any way you could share either a sample data set or picture of your graph so far?

nhoctia1
Level I

Re: Keep label of individual data points when adding mean and standard deviation

Hi,

Yes I am labelling rows

nhoctia1_0-1675844268315.png

Then I used graph builder to plot. First I got the data points as I labelled in the rows

nhoctia1_1-1675844362200.png

Then when I added mean and standard deviation by adding another Points (as attached below), the colors of the points were changed

nhoctia1_2-1675844466863.png

Hope I could clarify it

nhoctia1
Level I

I made an example of data set with labelled rows 

Hope it will be easier for you to try

Thanks for the explanation and data. I'm not aware of a way to get the Graph Builder to do this (others might have better insight). However, the Fit Y by X platform can do this. Once you've run the platform, selecting Red Triangle...Display Options...Mean Error Bars gives you what you're looking for. I've attached an updated version of your table with the script saved to the table.

Jed_Campbell_0-1675869228815.png