cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

JSL auto suggestions: waiting time

Typing 

object << xy

and pressing CTRL + space is a really convenient way to get a list of all possible messages which start with "xy" and can be sent to the specific object.

I often use this shortcut to get a list of all possible commands that can be sent to a specific object:
by pressing CTRL + space right after the <<

But there is one problem:
If the object is not yet defined (because the code was not yet executed), JPM cannot restrict the list to the specific object and therefore provides the full list of all possible commands that can be sent to any object. On my computer it takes again and again several seconds till the list shows up - and the list is so long that it doesn't help much.

I understand the arguments:
- you should define the object first to get a short list
- it's cool that the CTRL + space even works if the object is not yet defined (especially if there are already some first letters of the message and the (short) list shows up immediately

Is there some trick to cancel the request? Clicking somewhere with the mouse or pressing esc will cause the list to disappear immediately after it's generated, but till this happens there is alway more than enough time for the thought: "not again!"

But to be hones, I would prefer an immediate, empty list for the case that I press  CTRL + space  "although"
- JMP doesn't know the object yet

- no first letters were given

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

Re: JSL auto suggestions: waiting time

I really like your suggestion.  My suggestion is that you add it to the JMP Wish List.

Jim
hogi
Level XI

Re: JSL auto suggestions: waiting time