cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ram
ram
Level IV

JSL: What to use for new columns, Formula or Set Each Value? Pros and Cons?

Hi All,

Can anyone highlight what are the differences between using "Formula" and "Set Each Value"? What are the pros and cons?

5 REPLIES 5
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: JSL: What to use for new columns, Formula or Set Each Value? Pros and Cons?

@ram,
           If you use the test script I put together below, you will be able to realize starting at a = 6, that set each value is more efficient . 

a = 7; // Varied from 2 to 7 

dt = New Table(); 

dt << Begin Data Update; 

dt << Add Rows(10^a);

t1 = Tick Seconds(); 

dt << New Column("Test",Numeric,Continuous,Formula(5));

t2 = Tick Seconds();  

dt << End Data Update; 

Print(t2-t1);

t3 = Tick Seconds(); 

dt << New Column("Test",Numeric,Continuous,<< Set Each Value(a));

t4 = Tick Seconds(); 

Print(t4-t3);

However, it is important to note that Set Each Value can only achieve one objective unlike Formula which is much more versatile. So I don't know the exact objective of performing this comparison, but this is one way to look at it

Best
Uday
ram
ram
Level IV

I was basically looking for functionality comparison between set each value vs formula function

txnelson
Super User

Set Each Value places the value specified into each cell for the column it is pointed at.

The Formula element is a dynamic element, that allows for the specifying of a script of any complexity desired.  Additionally, a formula will be rerun anytime that components within the provided script(column values) are changed.

Jim
ram
ram
Level IV

but if you delete formula property, then based on your statement both should be same. but i guess there are more intrinsic differences.

I concur with Jim.

As an interactive JMP user, my only way to compute values when making a new column is to use a formula. As a scripter, I have a choice between using a formula or using myriad other means of populating the new column. I never use a formula in a script unless the values must update due to dependencies that might change after the script has run.

The decision is as simple as that IMO. But I would never tell someone else to follow my way.