Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
fat_angus
Level III

JSL Saving EXCEL format and Keeping Leading Zeroes

Greetings, 

I have a JMP file that has leading 0s in several of the columns that I want to keep. 

Data Type is Character... and Modeling Type is Nominal

When I save the file into EXCEL format using the JSL code below,  the leading 0s disappear. Is there anyway to keep them in? 

du = Cust_join << Save( Concat("C:\file",Format( Today(), "yyyymmdd" ),".xlsx") );

I suppose script some code that puts an apostrophe in front of every instance but there are some row

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Re: JSL Saving EXCEL format and Keeping Leading Zeroes

Here is the file name that I get using your JSL......where are the leading zeros that have been dropped

"C:\file20220210.xlsx"

What release of JMP are you using?

Jim
fat_angus
Level III

Hi Txnelson...

Using JMP16. 

I am not at all concerned about the file name. I am concerned about the columns in the file that have leading 0's. They look look fine in JMP but when I save as an EXCEL file using the script above or even using File... Save... As, the columns delete the leading 0's. 

Example: 

IN JMP I have file that contains a column that looks like this;

fat_angus_0-1644585681544.png

When I save it in EXCEL, the leading 0's are trimmed... thus, 0001585350 gets trimmed to 1585350

txnelson
Super User

JMP is exporting all of the leading zeros.  It is Excel that is stripping them off.  Your suggestion of placing a non numeric value in of the column's values would be one way to preserve the leading zeros.

Maybe another community member has a better solution

Jim
lala
Level VII

回复: JSL Saving EXCEL format and Keeping Leading Zeroes

dt << Save( "C:\file" || Char( Format( Today(), "y/m/d" ) ) || Char( Hour( Today() ) ) || Char( Minute( Today() ) ) || ".xlsx" );
pmroz
Super User

回复: JSL Saving EXCEL format and Keeping Leading Zeroes

It does appear that Excel is stripping off the leading zeroes.  Guess you'll have to stay in JMP and not use Excel LOL.  But if you must use Excel, you can preface the values with a single quote.  Here are the JMP table and Excel spreadsheet:

pmroz_0-1644591928582.png