Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
chiat
Level I

JMP16.1 TLB not working for Visual Studio

Hi guys,

Recently my company has just upgraded license to JMP16.1 and the previous software i written in vb.net which calls the JMP COM Library is not working anymore.

I couldn't find JMP library in COM Reference and manually adding the jmp.tlb from C:\Program Files\SAS\JMP\16\ give me this error below:

chiat_0-1633934306999.png

I tried to reinstall back JMP14 and the TLB is working fine so i guess the problem is not from Visual Studio.

Appreciate any help or comments!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: JMP16.1 TLB not working for Visual Studio

Hi chiat,

There are a few things to try.  I am using VS 2019 and it seems to be a bit more temperamental and I have seen your issue before.  A few things to do:

1.  Make sure you are running VS in Admin mode.  That seems to be required now to update the project file with the new JMP reference.

2. Make sure the obj\debug or obj\release folder underneath your project file is writeable.  VS will generate an interop.dll file that it uses to connect between JMP and your application.  For example, I just made this one with the JMP 16.1 Type Library.

briancorcoran_0-1633955460507.png

3. If you have multiple JMP installations, the Windows Registry sometimes does not update the information correctly for Automation.  In general, the last JMP that you install will take priority and it is difficult to make VB understand anything that isn't in the registry.  I would first close down your VB project.  Then I suggest starting up JMP 16, go into Preferences->Windows Specific and then select "Reset Associations".  

briancorcoran_1-1633955713612.png

Bring your VB project back up and try to add the reference to the JMP 16 Type Library again through the Add Reference browser.  It should work this time, and you should be able to then build your project.

I hope this helps,

Brian Corcoran

Re: JMP16.1 TLB not working for Visual Studio

I tried all of the above (Admin rights, folder writeable, no other jmp istallations and refererences refreshed) and am still unable to make the jmp.interop.dll file.  This is in windows 10, vs 2019.  Any further advice?  I would rather not have to go through this type of hassle with every new JMP version release either, should I just give up and be using other software?